Whats the difference between folk and acoustic?

openedskittles

• Members

"Folk" is a term that is thrown around a lot and it's hard to say exactly what it means without knowing the context.

"Acoustic" is a term that, when referencing instruments, basically means an instrument that doesn't need external electronic amplification to perform. (i.e. an acoustic piano instead of an electric keyboard, an acoustic guitar instead of an electric guitar and so on) The specifics are often debated (is this guitar truly acoustic, etc).

Hope this helps! :thu:

Ellen

• Members

Folk guitar is not a term you hear much anymore. Acoustic is much broader term that includes all steel string guitars, nylon string guitars, and resonator guitars.

When I think of a "folk guitar" I automatically picture a Martin style dread or 000 because that's what most folk musicians play.

• Members

Whats the difference between a folk guitar and an acoustic guitar?

It depends. Some manufacturers call smaller bodied guitars "folk guitars".

My Alvarez RF-20SM is called a folk guitar. It is slightly smaller than my Larrivee OM-03R.

• Members

Thanks guys. I was just wondering because I noticed a yamaha that was called "folk" as opposed to their other acoustics that are called "acoustic" and i noticed they didnt show up on musicians friend if i tried to get to yamaha through acoustic guitars, but they did show up if i got to acoustic guitars through yamaha and they look exactly the same I was just not sure if there was any real difference besides the name.

• Members

Thanks guys. I was just wondering because I noticed a yamaha that was called "folk" as opposed to their other acoustics that are called "acoustic" and i noticed they didnt show up on musicians friend if i tried to get to yamaha through acoustic guitars, but they did show up if i got to acoustic guitars through yamaha and they look exactly the same I was just not sure if there was any real difference besides the name.

Yamaha seems to call most of their acoustic guitars "folk" guitars.

The FG720 is a dread, the FS720 is an OM. They call both of them folk guitars.

• Members

The term "folk" to me usually implies "non-electric", that is, the same meaning as "acoustic". Most folk songs, but not all, are played on an acoustic guitar or other similar non-electrified instruments such as banjo, mandolin or fiddle. It is implied that a "folk" guitar is suitable to play Peter Seeger, Kumbaya, early Bob Dylan or Joan Baez songs etc.

But no guitar is limited to any particular advertised genre. Just watch Rodrigo y Gabriella as an example of what I mean. Clapton would just as surely rock out on a Ramirez classical as with his Martin 000. It's strictly up to the player to decide what to do and what to play with his guitar, no matter what kind of guitar it is.

• Members

But wouldn't the OM-03R serve as a nice "folk" guitar as well?

I'm just going by the name Alvarez uses for that body size. The better question is why do they call it a "folk" guitar?

It's a bit smaller than my OM-03R.

• Members

Hey Hud,

ya gotta love that bridge!

I bet "she" sounds sweet!

Yeah, I like the bridge.

It's a nice guitar. It plays smooth and sounds great. I got it for Xmas from my wife and kids. They even bought the Alvarez arch top case to go with it. :thu:

I removed the stock black pick guard and glossed the satin finish. I regret glossing the finish because it looks a bit cloudy at certain angles. Live and learn....

• Members

That bridge is sweet looking. Never seen that shape before. Kind of cross between a Taylor and a Breedlove. Is it wood (what kind) or a nice looking and sounding lam.

I need to address the next Christmas gift issue with my wife and daughter, though. I have enough sweaters to last a lifetime, plus I live in LA where you never NEED a sweater, or at least usually.

• Members

That bridge is sweet looking. Never seen that shape before. Kind of cross between a Taylor and a Breedlove. Is it wood (what kind) or a nice looking and sounding lam.

I need to address the next Christmas gift issue with my wife and daughter, though. I have enough sweaters to last a lifetime, plus I live in LA where you never NEED a sweater, or at least usually.

It has a solid mahogany top and laminate mahogany sides / back. It has a rosewood fretboard and a rosewood bridge.

It's a nice guitar for the money ($219.00).

• Members

I remember when I bought my guitar the guy at the store asked me if I wanted a dreadnaught, and I was like "um... I want an acoustic"

turns out dreadnought was exactly what I meant, I'd just never heard the term before.

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page4435.htm

I found this article when searching for the correct spelling of dreadnought. It seems to be addressing your question, skittles.

• Members

Whats the difference between a folk guitar and an acoustic guitar?

Folk refers (in musical circles) to the "style" of melody such as "rock" "classical" "western" "soul" "spiritual" "folk".etc. "Acoustic Guitars"

is a guitar where the "sound" comes out from the body (box) of the guitar thru the sound hole on top of the guitar body(box).

ALL Guitars (except the flat-board electric guitars) are acoustic guitars.

You can play any style of music as described above on any acoustic guitar.

However,there is preference amoung players base on the style of music they

are interested to play.With the exception of the flat-board electric guitar that is prefered by most "rock" musicians due to the amplification of the

sound via the additional amplifier-box necessary for this type of guitar.

The acoustic are found with nylon strings-preferred by most classical music players (the "classical guitar") and the guitars that have steel-strings which

is preferred by most -other than classical music -players. Either one of this

guitars (nylon or steel srings) can be used to play any style but the timbre is

somewhat different- the nylon tend to give a "mellower" sound and the steel

tend to give a "brighter tin-like sound". The body (box) of the classical guitar

tends to be somwhat smaller than the body of the guitars made to be played

with steel-strings. The scale-lenght of the guitar is a very important factor

in selecting the instrument. "Scale-lenght is the distance between the "NUT"

and the "top of the saddle" of the guitar.Players with short fingers could benefit with a short-scale lenght and likewise players with long fingers could use a longer scale-lenght.Most manufactured guitars (guitars not made to order by a Luthiers) have a 650mm scale-lenght. This is about 25.6".The width of the fretboard at the NUT is also a factor in selecting a guitar if you have small hands/short fingers.

Archived