Anyone know anything about fiddles?

32-20-Blues

• Members

They have the same tuning as a mandolin so if you can play mando it'd be kind of like playing a fretless mando only with a bow. The bow part is the part that made it hard for me to pick up playing a fiddle. If I could use a pick I could probably do it but like I said, that'd just make it a fretless mandolin,LOL.

• Members

Fretless never bothered me, in fact I took the frets off of my last bass guitar, filled in the grooves with white wood puddy then smoothed it all out and put a couple three coats of semi-gloss poly over it. No more fret buzz and I could slide up a bit to play in "off" keys. I really loved playing fretless, especially since I play by ear. I'd just feel around until I'd hit the right note, easy as pie. :thu:

• Members

If it's making the right kind of noise, play it. Stentor are a pretty decent starting point, but give me a shout if you wish to upgrade and have one made. ;) Kidding and more than a little wishful thinking on my part, but a couple of years ago the offer would've been wholely practical.

As long as you know how to set the sound post (Sometimes they come pre-set), Stewmac have some pretty decent violin kits.

All you need now is a big bass drum, harmonica, jew's harp, penny, cymbals and whistle. :thu::)

• Members

Just occurred to me.......

With your git, the new mando and this new fiddle, you gonna be a one-man bluegrass band.

All ya need now is a standup bass.
:D

LOL, don't forget to throw my dobro into the mix.:thu: Now we just need to figure out a way to get all of us together.

• Members

If it's making the right kind of noise, play it. Stentor are a pretty decent starting point, but give me a shout if you wish to upgrade and have one made.
;)
Kidding and more than a little wishful thinking on my part, but a couple of years ago the offer would've been wholely practical.

As long as you know how to set the sound post (Sometimes they come pre-set), Stewmac have some pretty decent violin kits.

All you need now is a big bass drum, harmonica, jew's harp, penny, cymbals and whistle.
:thu::)

I think it's making the right kind of noise. Screeching is normal at first, right? :)

From what I can gather, the soundpost is in the right place.

Regarding those Stewmac kits - is it possible to build a decent quality violin from a kit? Sounds like an interesting idea (particularly given the fact that, due to a lack of funds, I won't be able to commission you just yet, unfortunately:lol:)

Thanks for the responses, guys.

• Members

I think I must've caught something from Samilyn, coz my keyboard's covered in coffee as I type. lol

Interweb coffee spraying virus or something like that??????

Just a temporary case of spew-itis, Gary. It will soon pass, I assure you.

In case of severe attack, turn keyboard upside down to drain. :p

• Members

If I bought I violin I'd have to mark out the areas where notes were.

I can play by a tune ear, but I'd want those just as a kinda crutch until my fingers got it pretty automatically.

Then get a more expensive fiddle.

Yep, sounds like a plan, I was thinking of using a very sharp, white pastel pencil to draw fine lines across the fingerboard. Sort of like the 'frets' that T.N Frank had left on his fretless bass after he filled in the grooves.

• Members

I
think
it's making the right kind of noise. Screeching is normal at first, right?
:)

From what I can gather, the soundpost is in the right place.

Regarding those Stewmac kits - is it possible to build a decent quality violin from a kit? Sounds like an interesting idea (particularly given the fact that, due to a lack of funds, I won't be able to commission you just yet, unfortunately:lol:)

Thanks for the responses, guys.

LOL I'm past the point of taking on new builds at present, but none of us ever know what the future holds for us.

A kit, patience, home made spool clamps, a couple of violin/palm planes, calipers, french polish, soundpost tool and a decent book on violin construction and tuning. That's often all it takes to turn a very reasonable kit violin into a much better sounding instrument. :thu:

• Members

Yep, sounds like a plan, I was thinking of using a very sharp, white pastel pencil to draw fine lines across the fingerboard. Sort of like the 'frets' that T.N Frank had left on his fretless bass after he filled in the grooves.

Detailing/pin striping tape works well as note/scale markers. :thu:

• Members

Why didn't I think of that? duh.
:idk:

I liked trying to learn fiddle, but never could put my fingers in the same place twice to make the notes I wanted to hear.

Any advice about bowing? I've spent the entire afternoon frghtening the cats and annoying the neighbours. Every so often, a clean note rings out, but it happens more by accident than design.

• Members

If you can learn to play mandolin first then fiddle should come easy. Like going from fretted bass to fretless bass. Fingering is the same for both, muscles will have the memory from playing the mando that will directly translate to the fiddle. I think if a person had both they could "cross train" and learn both at the same time.

• Members

Any advice about bowing? I've spent the entire afternoon frghtening the cats and annoying the neighbours. Every so often, a clean note rings out, but it happens more by accident than design.

Try varying the pressure with which you hold the bow to the strings. I tended to screech when I applied too much. With me it was trial and error, but I got a feel for it quickly.

I know the amount of rosin has something to do with it, too, but I can't remember how much to apply and when. Sorry. It's been more years than I'd care to remember.

Erm...I know what you mean about frightening cats and annoying neighbors. It's a good thing you never heard me learning to play the flute. :eek:

• Members

Load the horse hair evenly with rosin - basically until the strings begin making noise on the strings - and only tighten the bow until there's approx 3/8" clearance between hair and bow. Over tightening the bow will tend to make it skip/bounce across the strings as you try to play, but with the right bow tension and amount of rosin the weight of the bow should be sufficient for clean playing.

Relax your grip and any tension you have in your bowing arm and allow the horse hair to gently glide across the strings in long and even strokes.

Try to keep the bow parallel with the bridge.

Concentrate on one string at a time, while figuring out where the notes are (Chromatic tuner time) and adjust your bow strokes - bowing - so you always begin with a back stroke (Drawing the bow backward across the strings).

I hope this helps.

• Members

Load the horse hair evenly with rosin - basically until the strings begin making noise on the strings - and only tighten the bow until there's approx 3/8" clearance between hair and bow. Over tightening the bow will tend to make it skip/bounce across the strings as you try to play, but with the right bow tension and amount of rosin the weight of the bow should be sufficient for clean playing.

Relax your grip and any tension you have in your bowing arm and allow the horse hair to gently glide across the strings in long and even strokes.

Try to keep the bow parallel with the bridge.

Concentrate on one string at a time, while figuring out where the notes are (Chromatic tuner time) and adjust your bow strokes - bowing - so you always begin with a back stroke (Drawing the bow backward across the strings).

I hope this helps.

Excellent advice, and very helpful. Thank you.

• Members

I was in a Louisville junk shop and there was a pile of violins in the corner. One of them had a cool typed label inside that read: W.L. Epperson, maker, Louisville Kentucky, (and then in fountain pen) 1886!

I bought it for $150

I did a little Internet search and found a few antique woodworking planes and fishing rods made by the same guy. He might have also worked as a pastor and justice of the peace after the Civil War in Louisville.

The violin is kind of bright sounding and is more of a Kentucky fiddle than an orchestral violin. Loud bright and raw sounding.

But yea there are some quality violins out there if you are willing to repair them and replace parts. I bought a very high quality German made 3/4 violin for my daughter for $50 on Ebay. It just needed tuning pegs, strings, and a new bridge. My daughter's violin instructor was very impressed with the sound coming from a student violin.

• Members

I know, I can't help myself - I buy cheap instruments compulsively
:facepalm:

Finally someone just like me! I can't pass any cheap instrument up. Especially if it's an old beater (as opposed to a new cheap piece of junk). I guess I can kind of see what it used to be, and it's good training for fixing things up. Once a tinkerer allways a tinkerer.

Archived