Sketchy Craigslist post?

deepflight

• Members

This person (presumably a guy) has been posting the same ad every few weeks on Craigslist for months. I wonder if he ever gets any takers? (The number of songs he wants to record never goes down, so I'm guessing "no.") Maybe I'm a cynic, but to me it sounds like a guy trying to hook up with women rather than someone working on a serious project.

Here's the ad:

Hi. I need a female singer to record vocal parts on my CD. I offer $100 per song (30-40 songs planned, this will give $3,000 to $4,000 when project is completed), 1 or 2 songs per month, each session aprox. 2 hours (1 song per session). This is not a record deal, I just want to finish my CD :)

If you are interested, deal will include (for each song):

- recording your vocal lines

- making video for YouTube

- at some point, Professional Photo Session (I will pay for this) so we can create cover for CD and create bands profile (Facebook, MySpace etc...)

You will also have credits on CD using your real name or nickname, this is up to you.

I pay you $100 (cash) after each session.. and this is no obligation agreement, it means, you dont have to come back and I dont have to ask you to record next song with me if things didn't work out.

If interested please send links to your sample singing, your photo and age (you MUST BE over 21).

Genre: Rock (covers and originals)

There is just so much here that seems weird to me. The first is that the person is "just trying to finish a CD" but needs to record 30-40 songs. Just how short are these songs/just how long is this CD?

What do you guys think? Are there often sketchy Craigslist ads for singers in your area as well?

• Moderators

Though many people out there have good intentions, there's the off-chance that they're not what they seem. So I would urge caution when dealing with these things. If the poster is serious then they should have some samples of their work or a link to a website. Or sometimes they'll show you samples after you contact them. Its also good to ask them for their contact number, which will tell you more about the person than a text-based message. And for personal safety if you do decide to meet with the person, the initial meeting should be done in a public place (eg. coffee shop, shopping mall, etc.). Meeting near a music store would be a good idea, since its a public place and they can showcase their musical work. Trust WILL take time. If you're really interested in finding other musicians but weary of these 'questionable people' then you can just make your own ad and don't disclose your gender.

• Members

Just to be clear... although I do check craigslist for people looking for singers from time to time, I have no intention of getting in touch with this guy/person. So don't worry about me!

It is interesting that people post skeevy listings for singers. I suppose it is like all the skeevy postings for models, people think that there are more potential victims who think they are singers rather than, say, bass players....

• Moderators

lol@bass players. Well.. for one thing, bass players will usually be carrying some blunt object for protection. Singers usually don't. :lol:

Anyway, the most genuine ads are the simplistic looking ones. The long-ass posts with a billion details upfront do seem somewhat sketchy. Looks very "spambot-ish" or the sign of a neurotic person. :rolleyes:

• Members

$100 a song is way to low...if this guy is serious he should know that, figure a song will take at least 4 to 5 hours to record properly, if yu know the material in and out wich will require that you use your personal time to do it before you go to the studio, so figure, two hours of personal time involved, one hour drive time + expenses, and then four hours in the studio...that's seven hours of work for $100...this guy is a flake, that's why he is yet to find a sucker!

Rod

• Members

There is just so much here that seems weird to me. The first is that the person is "just trying to finish a CD" but needs to record 30-40 songs. Just how short are these songs/just how long is this CD?

What do you guys think? Are there often sketchy Craigslist ads for singers in your area as well?

That's my ad. You can PM me for contact info.

• Members

That's my ad. You can PM me for contact info.

Small world! I certainly don't intend any offense. But it does seem a little unusual to me, perhaps because what you are doing is outside my experience.

But why so many songs? And why do you care what the singer looks like, in this context? Those items particularly were raising questions in my mind when I read the ad.

• Members

Small world! I certainly don't intend any offense. But it does seem a little unusual to me, perhaps because what you are doing is outside my experience.

But why so many songs? And why do you care what the singer looks like, in this context? Those items particularly were raising questions in my mind when I read the ad.

I'm pretty sure he was joking....:lol:

• Members

All you have to do is send me a headshot eating any kind of fruit (banana preferred of course) only because I like the potassium content better than potatoes...

However if you send a body shot wearing a string bikini you will be given priority. ;)

Why so many songs?

Well because it will wear you down.

As any manipulating man will tell you the more time we get to spend together

the more I will grow on you :idea:

P.S. if you can read this then you'll know that the ad isn't mine and it was all a joke

made at duke of broom's expense (projecting who you are via a passive aggressive attack is the sign of a {censored} footing beta male)

• Members

Lmao...invisible ink huh?

Very astute of you to notice that! lol

But seriously bro, what kind of man gets into the music industry because he likes to play instruments or be the front man of a band?

That's bull{censored}! Because as everyone knows we just want to get laid and women love a man who can sing/play.... amirite?

Archived