Hello and help!!!

AndyKO

• Members

Hi, I’m looking for some advice. I’m having trouble fixing my voice and am under pressure to get it back to normal before recording our next album in 2 weeks time.

I’m in a punk band so admittedly I’m not a trained or technical singer by any means so to be frank I’m looking for advice on how to fix my current issue then how to safeguard against doing it again.

A few weeks ago we played a few gigs in Germany. Before I went I had a bit of a cough which got worse while there. Add smokey venues and bad sound at a gig resulting in me straining my throat (felt more like a pulled muscle than a sore throat). By the last gig as soon as I got above any sort of power or range my voice cracked and cut out which was the worst feeling I’ve ever felt feeling useless up there.

the cough turned into a chest infection which has just about cleared up.

we cancelled 3 gigs but I’ve been singing once a week as we’re rehearsing before recording the album.

i played a gig last night and we even tuned down half a step but it still kept cutting out.

I only have 2 weeks to get my range back. Ideas?

as reference the link below is to one of our songs where since this happened, my voice just cuts when it gets higher.

(contains bad language so please avoid if offended)

heres hoping....

Andy

• Moderators

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. If your voice is cutting out and consistently cracking in parts of your range then you may be dealing with some swelling in the voice box or vocal folds. Have you tried seeing a throat doctor about it? If your regular singing isn't causing any damage then it might probably be a result of bad sound at the venue and poor monitoring setup making it difficult to hear yourself. Singers have the tendency to sing too loudly to compensate for not being able hear themselves adequately. Do you have a vocal training routine? There are some vocal exercises when used properly can lead to strengthening voices and also rehabilitating damaged voices as well, such as the cuperto exercise from the Swedish-Italian school.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well first of all you've mentioned that you're not a trained or technical singer. If you're doing this for a living, to prevent this from happening in the future I'd really recommend to find someone who can show you how to use your voice in a healthy manner.

Archived