Help ID My New Horn

• Members

Just got a new horn. Its a Henri Gautier Virtuoso cornet. I know it dates at least to the 1920's when my wife's great grandfather played in a jazz band in Tulsa. Its a little rough, but mostly just tarnished. One dent on the bell but not too bad. Pics tomorrow.

Can anyone school me on my score?

EG

• Members

A quick search turns up a few little bits. It seems that Gautier was not a company, but rather a brand made by others. Lyon and Healy was listed as one maker of Gautier cornets.

It doesn't look to be a collector's horn. If you intend to play it, it could be a nice little number especially if you pull it out for a Dixieland gig! If you sell it, don't expect too much for it.

• Members

A quick search turns up a few little bits. It seems that Gautier was not a company, but rather a brand made by others. Lyon and Healy was listed as one maker of Gautier cornets.

It doesn't look to be a collector's horn. If you intend to play it, it could be a nice little number especially if you pull it out for a Dixieland gig! If you sell it, don't expect too much for it.

Agree.

It is more-or-less a "stencil-horn" (made by un-named major horn manufacturer, to specs of outsourcing customer). May be just fine; especially if based on a very good design already developed by the manufacturer. Usually, the "stencil-horn" will have a few differences, to separate it from the manufacturer's proprietary instruments ... which will generally be more of a premium offering (engraving, trim, plating options, etc.).

I have a few such "stencil-horns", of which I actually prefer over the horn(s) from which they were cloned. An example: a clone ("stencil") of the famous vintage Blessing Super-Artists (have several of the authentic horns).

Play it, and enjoy it. Don't be concerned about monetary values.

Archived