Building a 2nd rack, need multi-fx advice

• Members

So I'm in 2 bands now, one is classic rock and the other is still forming but will be alternative/nu-metal. I'm reorganizing my gear into 2 separate racks:

Classic Rock rack:

JMP-1

Boss GT-Pro

Mesa 20/20

Marshall 1960A cabinet

This works well for me since most of the sounds are classic Marshall with the occasional odd Recto or other amp sound in there which I can easily coax out of the GT-Pro. The few fx I would need can also be handled by the GT-Pro.

Nu-metal rack:

A/B switcher (haven't found one yet)

Triaxis

ADA MP-1

Rane SM26B splitter/mixer for wet/dry

Multi-FX unit (here's where I need help - more below)

Mesa 2:90

Mesa Traditional Recto 4x12

For the A/B switcher, I'll probably get the Axess GNX4 although there's a Nobels unit that'll do the trick if I can find it in the US.

Now the big question, which multi-fx unit??? The price of the G-Major is really making me lean that direction although many prefer the sound and build quality of the G-Force. As far as reliability, I can pick up 2 G-Majors for way less than a G-Force and have a backup unit.

For those of you who've played through both units, where is the G-Major lacking in comparison to the G-Force? I'm aware of the ability to change fx order on the G-Force, but this isn't too important to me. I also know the G-Force has intelligent harmonizing, also not a big deal as long as the G-Major will track well on it's harmonizer. The GT-Pro's harmonizer has not thrilled me as it occasionally loses tracking, especially when holding a long note, even with a compressor in front of it.

No I'm not buying an Eventide as much as I'd like to. :o The other product in the running is the Rocktron Xpression but I hear the pitch shift really sucks on it. There are NO stores in my area that have any of these units for me to try out believe it or not. :rolleyes:

Sorry to make another G-Major vs G-Force vs Xpression, yada yada, thread, but could use some help making the right decision.

Thanks! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by PigeonRat

Wouldn't the jmp-1 be more suited for your nu metal rack?

While it could work with a little tweaking, it really is perfect for the midrange-heavy classic rock tunes. Ideally I'd get a 2nd one so I'd have one in both racks! ;)

• Members

The main difference in the G-force/G-major is in effect count and routing. The G-force allows up to 8 effects in any routing combination whereas the G-major relies on a maximum of 6 effects and 3 preset routing algorithms. The pitch shift only allows 2 additional voices for +/- 1 octave in the G-major. The G-force has 2 octaves above and one octave below and depending on how it is configured you can use 4 pitch voices without a problem.

Bottom line if you are looking to save $$ the G-major will do about 75% of what the G-force does at half the cost. If you want to do spacey, freaky un-guitarlike sounds then buy the G-force.

• Members

Originally posted by pezguy

Bottom line if you are looking to save $$ the G-major will do about 75% of what the G-force does at half the cost. If you want to do spacey, freaky un-guitarlike sounds then buy the G-force.

Well, I ended up winning an auction for a G-Force last night. There's a couple of songs my band does that requires a decent harmonizer so the G-Force can hopefully fit the bill.

Archived