Building first rack.

• Members

I'm looking to build my first rack. I will be building my own housing unit for them since I am on a budget and I have the materials to do so.

I have a Laney GH100TI head and a Randall RS125CX cabinet to start with. I know I could use the Laney as my power amp. But it is a single channel amp and it's not really that versatile except for high gain stuff.

I haven't decided on any pre amp's at all since I am just starting to get into the thought of a rack. But I have found a Power Amp that might be a good start. It's a Fender 2150 that I found for 40 bucks.

As for what I am envisioning I want in my rack. I want some type of a digital effect processor. I use alot of Delay in my playing. Also Chorus, Flange and Phaser. Looked at some used Digitech, Line 6 and Behringer processor and they are quite reasonable in my budget.

I defiantly want a guitar tuner in my rack. No question about that.

That about all I can think of for my rack and what I would really need in it. If any of you could suggest a good Pre Amp and another Power Amp for a beginner/budgeted rack. That would be cool. I'm very willing to buy used since I am on a budget of about 350-450 dollar budget to start up something.

Thanks

daniel

:thu:

• Members

Good preamps on a lower budget I've used-

Egnater M4/Randall RM4 (Check out the randall mts forums. Look for mods by Pete and Salvation. Puts the Modules on a whole new level) Used you can get one for about 400. The thing is you have to invest in modules however it is totally worth it. You can get an unlimited amount of tones without it being a ss.

Engl 530 can go for 400 used sometimes.

Peavey Rockmaster

ADA MP-1 (GREAT preamp especially if you get mods) Gilbert used it and it can get really heavy. I'm not sure about the cleans though. 250ish

If you'll accept solid state the Sansamp PSA-1 is pretty damn nice. They claim it is all analog and is not solid state at all but thats not completely true. I go mine for less than 200. Rammstein and COB uses/used it. Metallic sounding on the high gain which I like sometimes but it also has some very nice cleans. Great thing about it bass players love it too.

The TC Electronic G Major just did a price drop to 300. I think theres a guy selling one for 225 here. Or a TC Electronic G Sharp. I've got one in pretty good condition that I'm selling for 110 if you are interested.

For a poweramp in that range the Carvin TS100 would be the best choice. It's not a VHT but I liked it more than the Mesa 50/50. However, it is very hard to get poweramp distortion out of it if you want classic rawk tones.

• Members

well depending on what you like the behringer v-amp pro and footcontroller can be gotten for about $250 new. pretty good amp modeling, a good amount of modulation, and the footcontroller has a cc built in.

Archived