Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus in a rack form - ideas welcomed!

• Members

Right, some background: I used to have a JC-120, one of the older ones with the two Main In sockets that went straight to each power amp. I often used it like this:

Dirt pedals-->EHX 2ube preamp--> left and right outputs going to Main In sockets on the JC-120-->

I really liked the sound and the versatility. I didn't like the weight. What I'd like to do is build up a system that can get the same sort of sound but be easier to shift about. I'm thinking of the following:

-Retrosonic Chorus pedal to supply the chorus

-Solid state preamp with a good sounding EQ section

-Solid state power amp

-Two 1x12" speaker cabinets with an appropriate speaker in each

I don't want anything digital. A simple but good sounding preamp is what I've after. Any recommendations for the power amp would be appreciated.

• Members

Sounds interesting!

I've been planning on doing a similar thing by slaving out my MarkIV to a Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay to act as a splitter and chorus (wet one side, dry the other), then to a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 poweramp and 2x12 cab.

It sounds pretty wide and spacey like the JC-120, but I've been having troubles with the speaker side of things so cannot give a proper description of the sound.

Also too remember that the chorusing sound is different, since it's Tom Scholz' own chorusing method rather than a copycat of the Boss/Roland system.

• Members

Pete, what speakers are you looking at for your cabinet?

Well I recently bought a secondhand 'Celestion'-badged 4x12 cabinet. It looks like a Marshall angled cab, but has a 'Mesa/Boogie'-like metal grille. Solid as a rock. It contains Celestion G-70 speakers.

But unfortunately the speakers in it don't sound very good, at least not with my amps. Strangely it did sound good with a Vox AC15 boosted with a Rat pedal...

I want to give the speakers another chance, but at the moment seeking some info on them. I feel quite frustrated that I spent all that cash on something that I now have to buy more stuff for to get it to sound how I want.

What makes it more frustrating was that I was trying to improve on something I that pretty much nailed with what I already have- by just slaving my MarkIV through the Jazz Chorus combo with an EQ in between to darken the tone a little and have the chorus switch on. Running that alongside the MarkIV through my Stiletto 4x12 is pretty much just what I am after..

And I thought I could do better by replicating that with extra poweramps and cabs and effects units.... :facepalm:

But still I will push on. I have a pair of 8ohm EV speakers lying around (12L or 12S, not sure).

I also have four Celestion G12T-75 speakers that I've barely played and desperately want to sell. But now I am considering on mixing two of them with the EVs for the Celestion cab, hopefully it sounds ok...:confused:

The thing is though, the G12T-75 speakers are 16ohm, so I am not sure how to wire them up in stereo with the EV speakers...

So if that doesn't work, maybe I might get some 8 ohm Eminence Swamp Thang speakers? Something that sounds dark.

• Members

What makes it more frustrating was that I was trying to improve on something I that pretty much nailed with what I already have- by just slaving my MarkIV through the Jazz Chorus combo with an EQ in between to darken the tone a little and have the chorus switch on. Running that alongside the MarkIV through my Stiletto 4x12 is pretty much just what I am after..

And I thought I could do better by replicating that with extra poweramps and cabs and effects units....
:facepalm:

But still I will push on. I have a pair of 8ohm EV speakers lying around (12L or 12S, not sure).

Interesting! It sounds similar to Nick McCabe's Boogie/JC-120 combination with the Verve. I'm musing over whether to bid on a JC-55 on EBay right now. It'd cost over

• Members

It does seem with racks that part of the fun is sorting out the complications!

It's surprising just how hard it is to find a solid state preamp now. I know the world is in love with crap digital sounds (hello iPod etc) but damn, it's taken some time to track down what I want. For the preamp, I'm looking for an old Roland SIP-300. It was released at the same time as the Roland Bolt amps and I think will be the closest thing I could get to a Jazz Chorus preamp in a rack.

http://www.joness.com/gr300/SIP-300.htm

SIP-300_1.jpg

In terms of power amp, I can make do with an old ADA B200S solid state power amp. Still working on the speakers and cabinets... first I hope to offload my Hot Rod Deluxe this weekend and maybe the Cornell Romany Pro too.

• Members

^ Looks like you're on a winner man.

I've found that a lot of the Jazz Chorus tone comes from the preamp and speakers, especially that glassiness. The poweramp doesn't do too much to colour it- it's very hi-fi I think. If your tone is bright going into the poweramp, then it surely will be bright coming out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

^ Try a Mesa/Boogie Studio preamp. Experiment with turning the gain & drive controls without cranking them too much.

AWSOME PREAMP!!! I'm still kicking myself for selling that! Was very awsome for cleans as well, and took pedals and rack effects all nicely, thanks for making me miss it....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I just knicked one of these off of Ebay the other day, i hope i get it next week.. I looks like its going to be a lot of fun :thu:

It does seem with racks that part of the fun is sorting out the complications!

It's surprising just how hard it is to find a solid state preamp now. I know the world is in love with crap digital sounds (hello iPod etc) but damn, it's taken some time to track down what I want. For the preamp, I'm looking for an old Roland SIP-300. It was released at the same time as the Roland Bolt amps and I think will be the closest thing I could get to a Jazz Chorus preamp in a rack.

http://www.joness.com/gr300/SIP-300.htm

SIP-300_1.jpg

In terms of power amp, I can make do with an old ADA B200S solid state power amp. Still working on the speakers and cabinets... first I hope to offload my Hot Rod Deluxe this weekend and maybe the Cornell Romany Pro too.

Archived