XR696F 2x 600W 8-Channel Mixer with Feedback Ferret

• Members

Hey guy's,

I need some help putting together a small system.....

I have read some good things about peavey in this forum and have come across this powered mixer,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040330084430068194201249123643/g=live/s=speakers/search/detail/base_pid/631352/powered mixer

my question is can someone reco some speakers to go with it?

will these work??

SP2X 2-Way 15

• Members

For $900+ I would recommend a separate mixer and power amp. Peavey RQ2310 + power amp would be a good place to start.

SP2X's are actually pretty good. Maybe not enough mid's but pretty good overall for a pair of stand-alone speakers.

• Members

Originally posted by SoundMan

Yes, it's less money, but does it have 2 feedback killers built in? What would a 2 channel feedback killer cost? Will it do a real 500Watts per channel? SoundMan

Who cares if it has feedback killers? I use my Carvin C1644P all day long with no feedback. Their amp claims 333 watts, not 500. Based on my experience with their products, I have no reason to think their specs are exaggerated.

Does the Peavey have 12 channels? Power for monitors? You have features, they have features. Personally, I'd find more use for an extra for channels and monitor power than feedback killers, but that's just me.

No need to get you undies in a knot every time I mention Carvin. I could just as easily have mentioned a similar Yamaha (EMX5000-12) that costs less than the Peavey too, but I didn't.

I already said the XR-684 is a good product based on my experience with it. My last band used the 684 and Impulse 200 speakers for practice and they were fine for what they were.

$929 just seems like a lot of money for an 8 channel powered mixer to me, that's all.

• Members

Soundman, how about the XR800F PLUS that Peavey offers? Seems pretty solid, easy to use, costs less, has virtually the same power as the 696 and for a powered mixer looks very versatile. I've been looking that direction for my small-space acoustic setup.

no_humbuckers

• CMS Author

For just a little more money you could get an RQ2310 ($325), QSC RMX1450 ($399), DOD SR231QXLR EQ ($125), and Lexicon MPX110 ($199). You'll have to spend more to get the Feedback Ferret, but I'm sure you can live without it, and the resulting system, while not as compact, will be more versatile and expandable than any lunchbox mixer can be.

The SP2X speakers are excellent values. In the same price range also consider the EV Eliminator i and JBL MPro 200 series for comparison.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

For just a little more money you could get an RQ2310 ($325), QSC RMX1450 ($399), DOD SR231QXLR EQ ($125), and Lexicon MPX110 ($199). You'll have to spend more to get the Feedback Ferret, but I'm sure you can live without it, and the resulting system, while not as compact, will be more versatile and expandable than any lunchbox mixer can be.

The SP2X speakers are excellent values. In the same price range also consider the EV Eliminator i and JBL MPro 200 series for comparison.

Or even a Carvin (I know your opinion, spare me already) C844 mixer, which for $399 gives you 8 channels, 4 bus, stereo 9 band eq, effects (admitedly somewhat cheesy, but passable) and 4 monitor sends.

• Members

Sure you could get all seperate rack gear, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a small, portable system for the gigs that require very little.

You cannot go wrong with:

Mackie 808m

Peavey 684 or even 696 if you want to spend the extra dough.

Carvin PA 800 or 1200

Easy enough.:p

Whatever happened to the JBL MR series speakers?? To me they were much betterr for live music than the Mpro's...

• Members

We've been renting the 696 for a few months while were getting started, and I must say we were pleased with it. Were going with a rack system now mainly for monitor sends and alittle more power. We rented ours for like $50 or $60 a month. I'd highly recommend going that route if you can. If you could test drive a car for a month, would you? Sure let you know if it would do the job for you.

Later,

Rick

Archived