Independent amateur sound guy - advice?

• Members

OK... I have been doing my own freelancing sound service for about a year now, and I have done 50 shows (feb 28 '03 to feb 28 '04) with taking two months off, so it's been going really well.

I have a pair of Yorkville Elite EX 1000's (slimline), two mp8 powered mixers, an AP1200 power amp, a limiter/compressor, and mics, 100' snake, 120 ft 10 guage cables, four monitors, etc. I began with a pair of 200 watt 15" and the powered mixer and moved up as I got more work.

I mostly do small halls that have technically 140 people capacity but generally they fit 250 people in them. My largest show was a 400 person show (I got a few new clients who were attending this show) in a 170 person hall.

I charge $110cdn a night, but I'm going to increase my rates. I do good work, I have had bands call me the morning after a show done with another sound guy, and they tell me that they will not play a show unless I'm doing their sound... so I do a decent job at the least.

I really don't know the industry, I'm just doing my own thing on weekends to help with spending money while I'm at university (for economics)

Where can I take this? I'd really like to take this further... I've done sound at bars with their own backline, but they don't pay as well as I would do on my own... I'm starting to get into demo recordings and it has potential.

Any advice from you guys? I'm in the Greater Toronto Area...

• Members

I've already shot you an email, but I'll post some more here,

Theres alot goin on here in Toronto (and surrounding), you just gotta know the right people. In my 3 years working here, I've handed out 1 resume (IATSE) and all of my work (aside from IA film work) is word of mouth (and a few well placed phone calls here and there). Most of my work is brought to me, and I don't advertise as well.

I freelance with quite a few of the big guys, and small guys too. a 'full time' p/t @ a few places (ie, when something's goin on), and have worked alongside pretty much the rest of 'em.

The recording end in this town I have no idea about, but I do work with a few studio guys once in a while that do both studio and live work (depends on who the client is).

Anyways, do go out and be pro-active with the companies bosses/labour hirings (it depends on the company who it is) and see what they can throw to you. Most of the work I find goes to people on the short list (guys they have worked with/worked alongside), and if necessary the long list (randoms/guys not on the short list). I'm a few companies exclusive 'Toronto guy' that are from out of town.

You say your still in school, and 50shows already in a year is pretty good. If your in an industry program, hit up the profs + others about companies/contacts etc. Pretty much 90% of the work goes out to word of mouth.

• Members

Wow, they oversell shows by that much in Canada? If I were you, I would set up near an exit and the first sign of trouble be the first one out of there.

Remember "Great White" in Rhode Island??? Doing sound isn't worth that kind of risk IMO.

• Members

You only charge $110 cdn? Man, I would definitely charge more than that, probably double if the market can support it. I don't know what the going rate for PA systems here is, but I get a little less than that (after converting to USD) for just walking in, setting up mics and mixing a similar capacity venue (albeit more upscale). The PA is all installed, and you have more experience than I do.

-Dan.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Wow, they oversell shows by that much in Canada? If I were you, I would set up near an exit and the first sign of trouble be the first one out of there.

Remember "Great White" in Rhode Island??? Doing sound isn't worth that kind of risk IMO.

I mixed a show at a bar one night, and wandered downstairs after the last set to see the band playing downthere. Turns out the guy mixing that show was Paul, the in-house guy from the Station. What amazes me is that after all that, he was no-where near an exit. I set my board and rack right next to the door whenever i mix in bars. May get a tit-bit nippley with the door opening into a Rhode Island winter, but I'll take that over burning to a charred crisp anyday.

Archived