My first mixer

• Members

I was cleaning out the garage and came across this box. I love the pictures of it in use. I have no idea where the "mixer" is now. All I remember is I used in in high school in my bedroom for recording who knows what. It was old then (mid 80's).

ratshack1.jpg

ratshack2.jpg

ratahack3.jpg

• CMS Author

Hey, don't knock it....look at the guy in the church....commands enough respect to have his desk set up right in the main aisle. And apparently the budget for the stadiumm tour allowed for four, count 'em, four mixers, which cut into the budget for a skirt around the flatbed/stage.

And dontcha love how the word "stereo" was always given a special font? Kinda like how "color" TV always used to have each letter a different color...like maybe we were all too stupid to figure out what the word meant.

• Members

My first mixer was a Teac Model 2... and that was big time to me back then in 1976!

My second was one I built in school, didn't work worth a {censored}. I used discrete op-amps and they oscillated like a bad dog in heat. I don't think I ever used that one on a gig, but I later built a pretty bad-assed 16 x 6 monitor console (in 1979 or so) that still works properly to this day. I sold it about 10 years ago, it did a bunch of gigs and then I bought it back for sentimental reasons. Like a first girlfriend, the memories were probably better than reality.

Soundman probably has stories like this too!

• Members

Uh, well, in 76' I was only 8. I actually didn't even know what a mixer really was until I started working at PV. I've learned a lot in the past 13 yrs. But, I've been spoiled with good op-amps the whole time. None of that flaky stuff I hear my older coworkers talking about.

SoundMan

• Members

Originally posted by SoundMan

But, I've been spoiled with good op-amps the whole time. None of that flaky stuff I hear my older coworkers talking about.

SoundMan

They were discrete transistor based, flakey but fast... a bit too fast and difficult to compensate if you brought the feedback loop out to a control!

Archived