Question about Acoustic Monitors

• Members

I tried to find some information on the net regarding what looks to be two 1980's era Acoustic Monitor PSM 1250 monitors...they look to be in near mint condition other than a few chips in the cabinets.

I've been looking to put together a component stereo (Older budget minded stereo)

Anyway would these be good for a home stereo system? if so I could re-house them in cabinets that would match my decor.

If they can be used, would I need an amp or could a decent receiver push these monitors? ...I haven't checked the ohms yet.

Ooops more than one question.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Probably not so good for home stereo use. The response will be anything but flat, and probably a fair bit mid-heavy and harsh.

I picked up an old Panasonic receiver from the mid seventies today...I hooked up the monitors and wow!...it's been a long time since i've had a stereo that can push some air.

Anyway your right the response is too much and a fair bit mid-heavy...lil harsh...but it kicks ass in my garage.

Why the hell are decent receivers so expensive?....even old used receivers aren't cheap to come by unless you hit it lucky.

I gave my nephew an old Kenwood and an equally as old 80's Technics receiver about five years ago...man I should have held to them:mad:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have a pair that I bought as fill-in speakers while I was rebuilding some older higher end units. Hooked them up to my Yamaha R700 and was pretty disappointed. Used them for about 6 months, until I could get some EPIs working again. Now they are in the shop being rebuilt and upgraded. Cabs OK, woofer OK, mid & tweter not too good. Crossover very marginal.

Changing tweeters to EPI, mids to ESS sealed backs, adding a proper Dayton crossover (all sale parts or eBay). Have one screwed together in test mode and it sounds pretty nice. Waiting for another set of tweets that will match the Gold Trim Ring "decor" and about 5 lbs or polyfill stuffing to dampen the bass (ported box - can boom).

I think they'll be fine. If you still have yours you might think about similar upgrade. Not much work, just a bit of shopping and screwing things together :)

Archived