cleaning old connectors.

• Members

Hi guys,

I have some connectors from some older whirlwind medusa snakes (originally 8x3, switchcraft connectors). Im redoing both snakes, I got some great new ewi cable mount connectors for fanouts, but unfortunatley a higher up stopped my connector buying spree because apparently they cost too much, the old ones look fine, he doesnt have any clue how evil old connectors are, etc, so i didnt get to get any new connectors for the boxes. Does anyone have any idea how to make older panel mount switchcraft connectors look new? im thinking about maybe soaking the lot of them in a really light acid (vinegar?). also hitting the shells with a toothbrush then spraying them black.

thanks everyone, and stay tuned for a thread with the end results, i dont know how the boxes are going to turn out but the fanouts are pretty sweet already.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

No to acid or vinegar... you will damage the plating, The silver oxide on the older connectors isn't all that bad as silver oxide is conductive.

Best thing to do IME is to use a little Caig DeOxit. A little goes a long way.

hm ok, ive got some of that.

im assuming that it doesnt matter what i do to the shell, does anyone have any recomendation for getting gunk off of a bunch of them quickly?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by milesdf

im assuming that it doesnt matter what i do to the shell, does anyone have any recomendation for getting gunk off of a bunch of them quickly?

Depends on the type of gunk. I suggest the following:

1) Windex for general light road grunge

2) Castrol Superclean for oil & dirt & smoke gunk

3) Goo Be Gone for tape residue and related sticky stuff

4) Lacquer thinner or Acetone for really stubborn dried on petro based stuff

5) Denture cleaner tabs in water for plastic knobs

6) Really hot soap and water and a quick air blow dry for some stuff.

It really depends on the type of gunk and what the item will withstand for cleaning without doing more harm than good.

• Members

Are we cleaning the shells or the connector pins?

If the shells are filfthy, it's a safe bet the pins and contacts are also filthy.

And keep the wire brush away from the connector pins. The nickel plating is thin enough to be completely removed with wire brushes, and the remaining surface underneath will corrode in no time.

Gold plating is extremely thin and should be cleaned with nothing but cotton and denatured alcohol.

Archived