Both sides of a rack?

• Members

How many people have run effects, amps, etc on both sides of a rack, and what have been your experiences in doing so?

How would you get to the units on the back? I understand maybe a power conditioner, but wouldn't you want to be able to see the units?

• Members

I have installed speaker processing and patch panels and power inlet panels on the back side of amp racks. I program the processors to the speakers being driven so there's no need (or desire) to have access. I generally password protect for my customers anyway as I can then give them a better warranty coverage because I know the protection I have built into the system can not be defeted.

• Members

Hmm......... since I have a laptop and MIDI / USB interfacing, the racked MIDI / USB devices are still addressable even if hidden (if editing software is available) although some of the master analogue controls on the hidden racked gear can still defeat the laptop commands.

Anybody know if there are simple little gizmos that can lock a rotary analogue control into a fixed position?

Besides cyanoacrylates.......

• Members

Connections falling out indicate a problem with harnessing and connector choice. I can't ever think of a time when I have ever had a connector come out of a piece in a touring rack, including IEC power connectors.

Proper harnessing (including strain relief loops) goes a long way towards keeping a rack functional over a tour. Something to consider if this is a continuing problem.

Archived