Sub Performance

• Members

OK, I have the Yami 18in subs and I know they are not the best performers.They are what I have for now.So,just playing around and thinking that pretty much the only things going through the sub is bass and kick I figured WTF this Yami has a wider freq response than some other subs(30hz to 2khz approx.)so I just ran an aux with kick straight to it and got a pretty good thump going that sounded pretty good.I guess by using more of the speakers capabilities I was moving more air and am thinking about trying this out somewhere.What do you guys think or has anyone done this?

• CMS Author

An improvement when configured this way would indicate a weakness in the mid-highs. Used together, the overlapping frequency band could either be reinforced, cancelled, or have some combination of the two. It could also be a factor of the room's resonance/response to some extent. A lot of variables that are unknown, so whether it works in another room is anybody's guess.

• CMS Author

Thanks Craig.Yeah I was just playing around and trying different approaches.We only use one monitor mix so the open aux's were begging me to try something.Isn't that how most rednecks get hurt after saying"ya'll watch me try this here":freak:

Oh, I thought the most common redneck famous last words were, "Here, hold my beer a sec".:D

• Members

You have essentially discovered "Aux Fed Subs" .. although you could get even more benefit by using a crossover.

Read the Aux Fed Subs article on our tech page

Thanks Don.I was just curious if by using more of the 18in speaker I would get more thump and still get a good sound and use the full potential of the sub.I remember a long time ago(and I do mean a long time ago) reading an article about putting a full range signal into your sub, which is not what I recommend because it would be a full scale mud slide.But just for the lowest of frequencies.

• Members

the Yamaha Subs work just fine, no need to hurt their feelings:)

what are your top cabinets? What kind of power amp? Some power amps have some filter selections and If you can keep the real low stuff out of the tops, high stuff out of the lows, then you'd start realizing the real benefits of biamping.

• Members

the Yamaha Subs work just fine, no need to hurt their feelings:)

what are your top cabinets? What kind of power amp? Some power amps have some filter selections and If you can keep the real low stuff out of the tops, high stuff out of the lows, then you'd start realizing the real benefits of biamping.

Hey Spanky! This is strange but I wrote out a reply and when I submited was twice directed to a Musicians Friend page.Must be the Twilight Zone.Anyway,I have S115's for tops.My question centered around any benefits there may be by sending a full range kick signal to utilize the full frequencies available from that speaker rather than just sending anything below 100hz.In our 3 piece band the only thing going to the sub is kick and bass anyway.

• Members

as mentioned there will be some benefits to taking out the bottom end from the top cabs. You'll gain some effieiency and usually a little clearer vocals in my experience. I don't know that the stuff above about 200hz in your subs is a great idea. It's sort of about letting each set of cabinets do what they're good at and avoiding redundancy in frequency ranges

I found the S112s to be better with those subs, definitely easier to lift. I really like 4 of them up top.

• Members

Coffee is a chemical, a really good one!

I have 4 of those S115 Yammies, I've been taking to putting all 4 up as mains and leaving the subs at home on mid-sized gigs. A P7000s runs them cleanly and I still mic kick and some bass. Sounds great. I also have some of the smaller CW115 subs. They're light enough for my bad back and fit into my Honda element quite perfectly. Works just fine.

you didn't mention what kind of power amp you had...some have filter switches built in

• Members

RMX 2450 for subs with the 50 hz filter engaged.1450 for tops and another for monitors.Sometimes I use a Yamaha powered mixer which led to me micing the kick through aux2 of that mixer,now to mention it the kick was hooked up to a 1450 straight out of aux2.I just wanted to know how it would do,and I thought it sounded pretty good.

• CMS Author

The "thump" is only partly in the sub-100Hz range that most subs have set for the top limit. Since your mid-highs may not be doing it justice, keep trying higher crossover settings up to at most 200Hz. If the crossover allows different slopes try these as well as different overlaps. You may need to try these combinations several times over the course a of a couple days to get a good feel for what you like best.

Archived