Collapse
No announcement yet.

KS Audio

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Eric still with them? He came up with a system for a concert in New Bedford a few years ago, and then we rented twice from them afterwards. At LDI in 2008, their booth was located way off in the back, buried in a corner. They were packed anyway. Everybody who came by said " I could hear this music from across the hall, but Ive been trying to fin the source for an hour, it just never get any louder the closer I got!". Very cool stuff, strikingly clean. I wish I could afford it....

Comment

I just came across some pricing - HERE

Comment

Comment

And I think this page is old too. I'm trying to find pricing for the Session 3. No luck so far.

Comment

Thanks for the tip abzurd.

Cheers,
            B

Comment

Yeah, those look like some of their older systems. The current stuff has a much larger price spread... You'll have to call Norbert and he'll send you an updated price list. Doubt he'd quote me any different than you guys... but I'd rather have the quote come from him, rather than me relaying what I've been quoted.
              ​Boston Common Band - Boston Wedding Bands
              Sound --- DB Tech DVA T4's + RCF TTS18a Subs | RCF TT08a + ART710 Monitors
              Rack --- A&H QU-16 | Sennheiser Wireless Systems | Furman P2400AR
              Lighting --- Chauvet Quad6 PARs | Chauvet + ADJ Lasers | QSpot360 Moving Heads

Comment

Jonathan, just spoke to Norbert today and I'm VERY excited to say the least...

I'm seriously thinking of flying and doing an in/out listening test to choose a system
                It's a tad more that I was thinking in investing but the technology in these boxes seems
                to be light years ahead of anything I've heard and it's up there with d&b & Meyer...

If you take that in consideration then it's not that bad and it makes sense to make the investment

I would love to hear someone else to chime in and explain if they experienced these KS speakers

Jonathan thanks a lot for posting this
                cheers,
                Charles

Comment

Update:

Just put my deposit in on their "Session 3" system. Arrival time estimated late August / early September. - Yes, I'm freakin' stoked.

Now, as far as selling my Turbosound TQ445DP's and QSC GP212.... I guess it's official that they are FOR SALE, pending the arrival of the KS rig. There is an interested person here in Boston already, but if that falls through I definitely would like to offer them to someone in the Acapella community - as you're all great people!

Comment

Congrats Jonathan,

I have to buy first a van and a new car so I had to settle
                    on a pair of QSC KW122 & a pair of QSC KW181 system.

I will have enough dough by years end to buy this exact system
                    In the meantime I'll have yours as reference...

very exited to see your first video review on this killer system.

cheers,
                    Charles

PS: Please PM the details on this system

Comment

FedEx shows delivery estimated, later today. Yeah, I'm a little excited.

Testing them tonight (hopefully), and then have 2 gigs this weekend to let-em rip!

Will file a full Report on Monday night / Tuesday morning.

Comment

Comment

FedEx delivered the speakers around 5pm on Friday, by 7pm my crew / equipment manager arrived with our equipment truck... by 8pm we were plugging them in at our rehearsal spot.

Friday Night:
                          (the test)
                          20x12 room... acoustic tiling on the front and back walls.

Yep... these speakers were everything I remembered them being. BRIGHT, loud and clear. Super simple to use... and in a closed environment, they actually drive very deep... some DJ style bass drops had the room shaking.

Saturday Night:
                          (Wedding - Outside Tented - 225ppl)
                          Tent : 80x40 | Stage : 20x12 - Speakers on front corners of the stage

The most important thing I have to say about these speakers is - Coverage Pattern, Coverage Pattern, Coverage Pattern. With the speakers facing straight out, true to their form, the 120 degree spray in the near-field (< 50ft) kept mostly every table in a decent listening position.
                          The other thing I noticed, the separation between the Left & Right... the only thing I can compare it to, is as if you were listening through a pair of studio monitors at your desk.
                          The tent had a LOT of fabric, so the EQ'ing was very simple, had to roll the highs off above 4k by 1.5dB's... the C12 tops are super super bright.

Sunday Night:
                          (Wedding - Indoor Ballroom - 250ppl)
                          Dual-room, opened up : 150x40 | Stage : 18x12 - Speakers just off the front corners of the stage

Big ballroom, 'harder' plaster walls and semi-high 12'/16'ceilings. Usually this venue is divided to have 2 separate parties, but the couple rented both halls so they opened up the "air-divider". The ceiling on the room was sloped down on the stage-left side about 3 feet from the height of where our stage-right side was. After everything was level-ed off, we sound-checked. DEAR GOD, this room is bright... and that's in addition to the C12's brightness. Rolled 6k on up off -3dB's to even things out.

Then I hit my kick drum. Dear god... THAT's how a Kick Drum should sound. Combination of the room, wooden 'stage' platform we were on, and all hardwood floors. The KS CB18 subs delivered a nice thud in your chest, but didn't overpower you. Ahhh... makes this drummer very happy.

Lastly, being that this room was very very long... while our DJ was spinning between the band sets, I walked towards the back of the room, ~100ft away to take a listen, and the system was still sounding very clear.

Even the Uplighting vendor commented on how good the system sounded.

OVERALL:
                          What an awesome little speaker system. I'll say it again, for bands that really want to step up their game... give KS Audio a look. Their entry systems (Sat 3 with 1 sub is priced reasonably above your average QSC / JBL outfit... add the 2nd sub and or upgrade the tops to the C12 (Session 3 rig) and enjoy the magic.

Comment

Oh yeah...

My Turbosound TQ445DP's (with Calzone cases) and QSC GP212 sub (with Undercover NYC Bag) + PLX2502 amp (in SKB case) are for sale!!!

$6500 takes the lot. | Otherwise $5k + shipping on the Turbo TQ's | $1500 + shipping on the QSC sub + amp.

Comment

• brysava
                              brysava commented
                              Editing a comment

Hey dcastar

Are you still using the KS Audio system you bought? I'd love to hear your opinion and experience with it, now, a couple years after this thread started.

Thanks!

Bryan

He's not answering because the system he bought ran in to problems and the system was returned. Something to do with parts being wrong in the first run of these systems. Apparently the system has been perfected now but I can't find a single person using the Session 3 and writing raving online reviews.

For the money they want they are not great at communicating the capabilities of the system although I've heard a couple of times now the Session 3 will keep 500 to 700 people outside very happy. This is a massive claim with no people willing to back that up with real world experience. I have asked to be put in touch with other users of the system and this too was 'not possible due to wanting to respect clients privacy'. Personally I think that's a poor excuse as I haven't heard of any people who've just bought an amazing rig that don't want to rave about it and chat.

I should point out they want around $200 a single speaker cover so one tends to begin to think that this could just be one of those high priced bull**************** and that people spending that amount have to rave about it - 'it cost a fortune so it must sound good!'.

I am as open to technology as the next man but having exchanged multiple emails with the guys at KS Audio I'm still on the fence as to whether this is actually all it's supposed to be. No other users to speak to, slightly cryptic answers here and there. I still haven't had a straight up answer to the question, what can I realistically cover with this system and what if I add to more subs? What kind of throw can I expect from a system like this? They have however said: 'However with this full blown band I tend to suggest the Session 3 which would be the ideal system for you
                            3 way active and much more punch than the SAT 3.
                            Yes and indoor and outdoor it does easily 500 - 700 people.'

If you own one and are reading this then by all means please chip in ;0)

Comment

Wow.. super old thread. A little color and history from my perspective as a KS audio owner. I’ve been a musician and audio geek for over 40yrs. Have a BA in audio engineering and minored in music performance. Toured as a musician full time across the US and Canada for 5 years. Ran sound in Vegas at The Harras for various groups. My road time and professional career has slowed down but I still actively play locally and provide sound reinforcement on occasion. You name the system I’ve used it from crappy Crate and Carvin to Danley, Meyer, turbosound and alike. In August 2018 I was looking for a small format high quality plug and play system for small venue shows. I researched KS and connected with a couple people on the YouTube videos to get their unfiltered feedback off camera. That prompted me to call Norbert and I purchased a Sat 3 system with the 2x10 passive tops and 1x18 sub that controls the system power / dispersion. I must say the system is pricey for what you get but the amount of quality sound that comes out of these boxes is highly impressive. I have used this system from acoustic solo, duo through 6 piece rock and it delivers with ease. Loud and clear as other reviews have mention is accurate with a flat box eq. I run a Midas board and use all Mogami gold cables to keep the integrity of the entire system on the upper end of quality components. I have run this outside and the coverage is really nice albeit lacking some spl at a distance that the 2nd sub would help with. Currently in process of upgrading to the Session 3 system which will be all I’ll even need based on what I know from owning the sat3.

Feedback from musicians playing though my rig has been full of praise however the real clincher is the audience feedback. When reviews mention no distortion, awesome sound separation and lack or ear fatigue it’s legit. I can be standing right in front of the tops at peak volume capacity and it’s redicious how well the sound translates. I have a pair of the new QSC K10.2 that I use to run my Fractal guitar pedal direct as my stage amp when not using IEMs. I threw the QSCs on poles next to the KS 10s for full range audio AB test and While most would say QSC is clean there is no comparison as volume levels increase.

I will I’ll post an update when my session 3 has arrived.

also, I have a current price sheet. If any interest you can email me kickazzproaudio at gmail and I’ll send it to you. They do 30% off MAP + tax and shipping. Shipping is a bit heavy too as they ship freight.

bottom line... No regrets and I would recommend to anyone looking for a whole cut above the prosumer gear you find at the big box stores. The piggy back on the one person who posted a thorough review you need to be prepared to continue with the KS proprietary design and integration with any future upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X