Favorite soft synths for percussion?

• Members

I got the ReDrum blues.

I really can't stand any of the preset drum samples that sput out of reason 4's ReDrum. Its a cheese fest. They're just hi-fi enough not to be cool, and just low fi enough not to sound like real drums. They're in that bitter no mans land inhabited by infomercial producers and smooth jazz cats.

I've tried FX and stuff, but you can't polish a turd.

I'm going to have to make my own refills it would seem if I want to use drums in reason.

What are your favorite soft synths for percussion programming? Any tips for using synths in this fashion?

• Members

I got the ReDrum blues.

I really can't stand any of the preset drum samples that sput out of reason 4's ReDrum. Its a cheese fest. They're just hi-fi enough not to be cool, and just low fi enough not to sound like real drums. They're in that bitter no mans land inhabited by infomercial producers and smooth jazz cats.

I'm going to have to make my own refills it would seem if I want to use drums in reason.

What are your favorite soft synths for percussion programming? Any tips for using synths in this fashion?

What kind of music are you producing? I agree that Reason's drum library is mostly cheese (I can't find a good hihat in there to save my life), a lot of the drums are workable for electronic music, especially layered with some synth percussion from Subtractor or Thor.

Battery3 has a good library, as mentioned above. Its definitely one of the best percussion oriented samplers around - Shortcircuit is great too and its free.

For real drums - I own Drumkit From Hell Superior & EZDrummer - they're top notch. Ive read good reviews for Addictive Drums, and FXPansion's BFD as well. They all sound great - the interfaces have their various strengths and weaknesses.

Depending on your DAW, you could set up a drum map and use different samplers and synths for your kit. With Sonar's new step sequencer this makes for a really versatile solution.

• Members

I own Battery 3 (came with Komplete 5) and BFD2. If you want a drum sampler, or a sample player with a matrix of sounds that can be mapped using a drum map and effects, then Battery 3 is a good choice. If you want a virtual drum production studio with all sorts of articulations, velocity layers, microphone placement adjustment, compressors and other effects, etc., then BFD2 is a better choice. BFD2 has a built-in groove sequencing tool that will help you to build a full drum track if you want. You need a decent computer and big hard drive to get the full shebang out of BFD2 though. Battery 3 does not have a groove builder/sequencer.

BFD2 comes with about 55 GB of content. Much of that is in the velocity layers and articulations for the individual drums and cymbals. There is an add-on percussion set that I am lusting after and also several after-market sets in the same format. The number of instruments seems small in comparison with what you get with Battery 3 even though the size of the sample library is much larger. That is because you get much more content per instrument in terms of articulations, velocity layers, etc. with BFD2.

FXpansion (makes BFD2) has another tool called Guru that is a very nice beat generating machine similar to Stylus RMX. You can create drum tracks with that and it ships with a lot of content. You cannot load BFD2 sounds directly into Guru but you can use Guru to trigger a midi instrument so you can have it trigger BFD2. I have the Guru demo and have tried making some percussion grooves using it, but have not yet purchased it.

• Members

FXpansion (makes BFD2) has another tool called Guru that is a very nice beat generating machine similar to Stylus RMX. You can create drum tracks with that and it ships with a lot of content. You cannot load BFD2 sounds directly into Guru but you can use Guru to trigger a midi instrument so you can have it trigger BFD2. I have the Guru demo and have tried making some percussion grooves using it, but have not yet purchased it.

Ive tried out Guru and the concept is stellar - the included sample library is worse than Redrums though, IMO.

• Members

I'm doing electronic music, experimental, IDM, D&B and down tempo space groove type stuff.

You might want to try layering the drum samples in ReDrum - for some projects Ill make a combinator and have a Redrum just for kicks and snares, a a ReDrum for hats, etc. Using the various controls you can get a fairly distinctive sound going this route, even with the factory samples. Run them all into a line mixer and run each redrum through a separate MClass EQ and Comp, and maybe a Scream4 if you need it.

Because Reason is so modular you can get creative with the modules and routing to sculpt even the lame factory samples into something decent.

• Members

I got the ReDrum blues.

I'm a huge fan of the Session drums pack that comes with Ableton Live 7. However, I keep hearing about the BFD samples. Just go to Ableton's site and listen to the demos.

Archived