Leslie 710?

thebinge

• Members

Still searching for a Leslie upgrade from my 825 model I currently have hooked up to my A-100 and stumbled on one of these 710 models (been looking for a 760). From what I hear it's supposed to be similar to the 760 model but in a wood cabinet with a different bottom speaker setup. Can anyone hear comment on the bottom speaker difference? I already have a Combo Preamp pedal to hook up the 9-pin cable to the speaker. I'm mainly wondering how the difference in the bottom speaker affects the overall sound. Also, any idea on what one of these might be worth?

• Members

If you can get it cheap, no reason not to try it. To be used with the 9-pin combo preamp, you will need to install the Trek II LCO-1A crossover, this converts it to single-channel and keeps the bass below 150Hz out of the rotary channel, sending everything below 150Hz to the stationary channel which the 15" bass speaker is connected to.

The upper horn is the same as in a 122 etc, but the lower rotor has a Rotosonic drum, which is a 6x9 in a spinning drum. While it won't sound exactly like a 122 it would still be a solid improvement over your 825. If you can get it for around $200-$300 you'd be getting a deal, and the crossover is less than $70 from most online Trek II dealers (www.nashvilleprohammond.com has good prices on Trek II accessories.) If you get it cheap enough, you can always flip it if you don't like it.

As far as Rotosonic Leslies "sucking", that's in the ear of the beholder...in many cases they give a more "theatrical" character to the tremulant, which was what Don Leslie was after, since his main passion was the theatre organ. The bottom rotor won't sound like the standard 15" wood scoop, but I'd take it over an 825 any day. If you're really adventurous and handy with woodwork, the bottom section of a 710 can be converted to the standard 15"-and-drum arrangement as in a 122. 710's thus converted are basically equivalent to a 760.

How much does the seller want for the 710? If it's more than around $200 to $300, you're better off holding out for a 760 or 770 (wood version.)

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

• Members

Thanks for the detailed info B3Nut. The guy is asking around $600 so I think I'll pass on this model. However, I found a 760 that comes with the combo preamp for $700. Is this a decent price? I don't see enough that sell on Ebay to get a handle on what these are worth.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I recently purchased a Leslie 710. I am planning on installing a crossover in order to use the 710 with my M-100. I was curious to know if anyone knows specifically which organs would properly pair up with a 710 (without having to install a crossover).

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I got bought a Leslie 710 that came with a Dr. Fishstick adapter and pedal. I'm a guitar player but I also have an Alesis keyboard that I'd like to hook up to the Leslie. I'm reading all this stuff about the 710 not being a relatively valuable Leslie and there are options to convert it to a 147 (changing out the bottom rotor and speaker?, change amp(s), rewire?). Does anyone know of a component diagram for the 710 (or any of the other Leslie models) that would be useful for tinkering with this thing? I've always loved the sound of a guitar played thru a Leslie (Clapton, Harrison, etc), but the screaming tremolo of a Hammond B3, of the slow modulation sound of a blues/rock organ (Procol Harum, Stevie Ray Vaughn) cant be beat. Any info would be tremendously appreciated.

• Members

Converting cabinets and retrofitting is sometimes a recipe for disaster. Besides it won't increase the value because if someone did buy it they would part if out because its worth more than a modified 710. I have seen this a lot in buying Leslie speakers.

• Members

Converting cabinets and retrofitting is sometimes a recipe for disaster. Besides it won't increase the value because if someone did buy it they would part if out because its worth more than a modified 710. I have seen this a lot in buying Leslie speakers.

Archived