Recording with a DIY Isolation Box (+how to build it) video tutorial

Fettman

• Members

check it out:

[video=youtube;xFxH9sVe3Ls]

Direct link:

This is me explaning how to build and how to record with an isolation box.

I built it in fall 2007 and recorded quite some songs with it. It was also a great learning experiance.

Here are some songs that I recorded with the isolation box. Click those if you want the hear how it sounds within a full production context.

E.g. this one: Adagio for strings (with clean & mellow sounds):

Purple Organ (70s style rock song)

Riverdance theme (beginning is with clean sounds, later on there is a fully cranked, Plexi-Esque Amp lead sound)

etc.

feel free to ask questions etc.

• Members

^^thanks man

I see. Well, it could basically be used for anything that is loud. However, it'll be most usable for recording guitars with tube amps.

Otherwise you can build this bigger and with e.g. a window, to use it as a vocal booth or brass booth etc.

• Members

Viewing Videos are blocked from my work computer. I'm guessing its the type of iso cab that you stick a whole guitar inside. I still plan on building an iso speaker box one of these days. The box is simular to a closed back speaker cabinet that has a lid on it that contains the mic. Then you plug your amp head into it to power the speaker and the mic picks up the speaker in isonation. The only reason why I havent built one is because I have a sound proofed studio and loud music isnt a problem. Maybe If I ever have to go back to appartment living it would be a good option.

• Members

thanks guys

Viewing Videos are blocked from my work computer. I'm guessing its the type of iso cab that you stick a whole guitar inside. I still plan on building an iso speaker box one of these days. The box is simular to a closed back speaker cabinet that has a lid on it that contains the mic. Then you plug your amp head into it to power the speaker and the mic picks up the speaker in isonation. The only reason why I havent built one is because I have a sound proofed studio and loud music isnt a problem. Maybe If I ever have to go back to appartment living it would be a good option.

yes, that would also work. I've seen some builds being just like that and it sounded good.

Archived