Can anyone recomend a Tablet PC?

gearmike

• Members

I've finally found myself in the strange position of needing to buy a PC laptop. (I'm a long time Mac guy. Back to the Apple II days.)

I don't really know where to start looking...I know I need a decently fast machine since I'll be running audio apps on it...I'm really intrigued with a tablet PC so I can use it to remotely control DSP processors when I set up sound systems.

Anyone have any experience or recomendations?

Thanks

• Members

if yougo to the lake website they have some they tested and recoment with teh lake contour.

I think that if you want to contorl a DSP then you had better be thinking of talking to the maker of THAT dsp (are you use drive rack 260 my chance?) what DSP are you planing on useing?

you going to use WI FI, blue tooth ? a long cable?

Kev.

• Members

I've setup a few of the HP/Compaq models for our VP's and I honestly cannot recommend them for anything but e-mail. Even with the Centrino platform they are V E R Y S L O W.... The older models with the Transmeta processor were just about unbearable. For the same price you could buy a lightweight laptop with much better performance, IMO.

• Members

Actually, I was looking at some of the convertible models...

I want something with a decent screen size and resolution.

As far as DSP processors, I use quite a few different manufacturer's products. XTA, BSS, Ashly, and I do come across a few DBX driveracks (even the 260).

I'd probably being using a cable to interface most of the time, but I do have an older laptop that I could set up to be controled by the tablet over WiFi...

• Members

well there are some guys trying to control them directly from teh tablet.

I am hearing different level of success. Lake can do it basically directly, they have ethernet so all you do is plug in ot a wire less router (and assumeing you ahve wireless on the labtop..) you good to go.

On the 260 it is harder, cause it uses rs 232. So you have to get that in to the tablet, and that is where the stumbling black seems to be.

Kev. - wish I had a cool solution like that for my 260.

• Members

1. Way underpowered (the intent was to do on -site landcadd with them)

2. Win XP Tablet OS is pretty flaky

3. The mini touch screen "keyboard is difficult at best"

4. Battery life sux

5. By the time you add a keyboard, mouse and monitor to use at a desk, you are better off with a real Laptop.

6. And the built-in wireless is pretty old school

But then again, this is a discontinued model :rolleyes:

However, It does do a pretty good job logging into the net at Starbucks ;)

Archived