What would it take to have a standard USB key?

Red Winger

• Members

Lately, I find myself being influenced not to buy a piece of software that I might otherwise buy at least in part because the copy protection it uses is a USB key (typically one that a particular manufacturer has desinated for all of its new product releases) rather than some other form of copy protection. While I admire the portability of USB keys (and the ease with which you can then use the software on different machines without all of the challeng/response issues), I'm getting kinda fed up with what may amount to a need to buy extra USB hubs just to support a growing array of USB keys. Right now, I have two that I use (Apple key and an iLok), and I'm not anxious to add to the list.

What would it take for there to be a standard USB key that could be used for all of your license authorizations, regardless of manufacturer? I don't actually know, and am really curious regarding the nature of the obstacles to such an approach (apart from simply getting everyone to actually want to come up with a standard in the first place).

Just curious for my own info if anyone can provide some insight.

Cheers,

Mark

• Members

There is a special place in hell for the inventor of "the dongle" (and the person who came up with that name)

I remember needing to feed the master floppy for validation before I could launch a program on my old Mac Plus circa 1988.

Here's a crackpot idea:

The software key is a little program that you install from the program master disk (like the authorize/de-authorize system iTunes uses to validate your machine)

BUUUUUUUUUUUUT....

The manufacturer could set it up to install only on media up to a certain size, so that it wouldn't install on a big hard drive. Current installers check to make sure there's enough room to install something, this would just be the reverse, or an added line that says the max capacity allowed.

So, the installer utility will only place the key install on a certain size drive. You get a 512MB USB thumb drive to hold all of these key installs, and have only one key.

Of course it would be hackable where someone would figure out a way to install the keys on the hard drive and be done with it, but it's a start for the 99 44/100% who are honest.

• Members

excerpted

Originally posted by Billster

There is a special place in hell for the inventor of "the dongle" (and the person who came up with that name)

I think that it was these guys.

Aladdin Knowledge Systems, Ltd.

Founded 1985

Listed Nasdaq: ALDN

Headquarters

USA: Arlington Heights, IL

Global: Tel Aviv, IS

http://www.aladdin.com/about/patents.asp

wikipedia has a theory too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongle

• Members

I think the iLok IS the closest to a standard right now. We just need more software vendors to get onboard. More are adopting the iLok everyday. It would hurt to send an email or letter to the manufacturer of any software that you use that has not yet adopted the iLok.

If I read your post correctly, you are cool with the iLok, right. Sounds like if more software used it, you would be happy.

• Members

Originally posted by Billster

Of course it would be hackable where someone would figure out a way to install the keys on the hard drive and be done with it, but it's a start for the 99 44/100% who are honest.

Well, and that really sums up all copy protection can hope to have in the first place. There really isn't a fool-proof system. Deterrence, usually in the form of too much effort and/or knowledge required, is really all there is.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of iLok, but I use it for PTLE and some RTAS plug-ins and it has worked fine for me. If everyone jumped on the iLok bandwagon, I don't think I'd have a big problem with it. But, other than the ProTools world, nobody seems to be doing that. My main gripe is just having to worry about juggling multiple keys and using up all excess USB ports.

I mean, the way the trend is going, if I were to eventually acquire some of the software I've (at least for now) opted not to, I could wind up with a Logic key, an iLok, a Steinberg key, an IK Multimedia key, and probably others if more companies follow suit. It's just absurd.

So why do manufacturers not just use iLok? Is it just a way of avoiding payments to PACE, or are there other reasons?

Cheers,

Mark

Archived