SPDIF Question

Throatsinger

Steve, you need to set the MOTU's word clock source to "external". I don't know where the exact control / menu is located (usually within the hardware's control "applet"), but if you're feeding it S/PDIF from the Tascam, then the Tascam needs to be set to internal word clock, and the MOTU needs to get its word clock from the incoming S/PDIF signal in order for the two devices to work properly together.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the specifics... :(

• Members

Steve, you need to set the MOTU's word clock source to "external". the MOTU needs to get its word clock from the incoming S/PDIF signal in order for the two devices to work properly together.

(

Um, kinda, sorta... (sorry Phil). If S/PDIF is working in one direction, then both devices must be clocking from the same source, which is what's required. It should also work in the other direction UNLESS you're disconnecting the S/PDIF cable from MOTU=>Tascam to hook it up the other way, in which case, buy another cable and leave 'em both hooked up.

It still would be a good idea to learn how to set both devices up as either slave or master - remember, there can only be one master at a time (IOW if one device is set to it's own clock, the other must be set to 'external' It doesn't matter which way the (digital audio) signal is flowing - as long as the connection from master to slave is always present.

Scott

No worries Scott... I think we're both on the same page - you just were more complete with your answer than I was. :o

You're absolutely correct - there needs to be one master clock source, and the other device needs to be set to "External" or "slave" or "S/PDIF clock" or whatever they've labeled it. :)

Signal flow is, or at least should be, independent of the master / slave word clock setup. IOW, if there is only one cable involved, then you'll need to set the device that is sending audio out as the word clock master, and the other device as the slave. If there are two cables involved, then you should be able to set either device as the word clock master, and the other one as the slave, and still be able to route audio in either (or both) directions.

Archived