Music Usage....

• Members

I am in the process of working on the storyboard of a biographical video project about a studio guitar player who played on a ton of hits in the '50's and '60's. He played on over a dozen #1 hits in that time period and had several guitar based albums of his own. The idea is to ask him some questions about his background and then about specific songs that he played on. I would like to play about 30 seconds or so of some of these songs and have him play along with them while talking about the songs and his studio and production experiences. His partial discography is here: http://www.pbase.com/image/114438515/large

The end product will be given to him, his son (a studio drummer from the '70's) and he will hand them out (free) at gigs (he still plays every weekend). The question is, what kind of usage rights will I need to get and who to I contact to get these rights? If I only use a small portion of each song do I need to acquire rights?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Members

You might obtain permission or whatever from the Harry Fox Agency.

Harry Fox deals with compulsory mechanical licenses. Use of music in a video would be sync license.

Some one with far more knowledge about this stuff than I could tell you if short clips as part of academic or commentary use could fall under fair use laws in the US

Archived