I could use your assistance...

• Members

Hey cool cats,

I've been working my YouTube channel real hard and have been getting some positive feedback. Well, one of the things that still bugs me is being limited to no audio. One of my favorite things is turning people onto good jams. So the main piece missing is the DJ side of things. (Imagine Tarantino movies without the killer soundtracks and you'll know what I mean.)

Being just a little guy, I of course can't just use whatever music all willy-nilly lest I get a copyright flag or a takedown notice. So I just do without most of the time.

I post the occasional jam of mine, but that's not the main focus of my channel. I'm trying to use my channel to build a community. 

So my thought is what exactly do I need to be able to use whatever music I want making videos?

ASCAP, BMI, all of them, cost, hoops?

• Members

You might check out: http://cyberprmusic.com/pre-cleared-music/ and maybe look for other pre-cleared music sources. There are usually restrictions like having to give credit to the artists and such, I believe.

FWIW, feel free to use any of my music you'd like (credit, of course, would be nice). I'm technically an ASCAP writer but they lost my song registrations (and I'd only registered a few with them because they started ticking me off not long after I signed up). I'm going to kick them to the curb, but from what I read, it's really a PITA to do, so I haven't been in a hurry. They're just parasites. 

• Moderators

I think realistically you can use anyone's music you want behind your track and then one of two things will happen:

(1) Nothing - by far the most likely result

(2) The owner of the music might ask YouTube to remove it.

The probability shifts between event 1 and event 2 depending on how many million hits you get.

I'm sure you don't think that all those tens of millions of YouTube videos with music in the background are paying to use it.

Terry D.

• Members

The   copyright bots don't wait for you to get even ten hits at times. They're always on the prowl for patterns matching those of copyrighted works owned by Big IP (all others must fend for themselves). Particularly aggressive are those from the Warner family of labels. 

That said, increasingly, some copyright holders are allowing use of their work as long as the YT account allows advertising, revenue from which is, as I understand it, diverted to the copyright holder. But I'm a bit hazy on the mechanics of this, without question; and maybe it's not true at all. You read all kinds of things on blogs.

Archived