School me on computer printers

• Members

School me on computer printers. I want to mostly print B&W, and do not intend on printing photos with it.

Here's some features I am looking for.

1.) not stupid expensive on ink, which seems to be where the expense is in many printers, so maybe a laserjet or something like this?

2.) the ink or whatever should not dry out if the printer is not used for a while

3.) wireless would be a bonus

4.) it should not be monstrously huge

Thanks!

• Members

I bought a Brother black and white laser printer (the MFC-7440N, because it had a fax option and I needed to replace a dead fax machine). It was on sale for under $200. You can get "compatible" (i.e., not made by Brother) high-yield cartridges for under $20. It has printed thousands of sheets over the past few years, and not been any problem at all.

• CMS Author

When I recognized that they don't sell printers, they sell ink cartridges, I bought a Brother HL-2070N laser more than 5 years ago and it's still working just fine. This one has both a USB and Cat5 Ethernet port. They make a wireless version now as well. It was under $200. The "starter" cartridge lasted me about 2 years and now I'm on an Office Depot house brand replacement that was about $35.

It's black-and-white only, but copies are highly readable. Once I figured out how to load the paper, I'm able to print on both sides with it (two passes) which is handy for when I get something that the company was too $@&*# cheap to give me a printed manual for and I have to print my own. Office Depot seems to have one on sale about every other week, so if you're not in a real hurry, check the sale ads.

Here's the Brother HL-2270DW which seems to be the current version of what I have, with the Wireless network connection.

• Members

If you don't need color, there are a lot of black and white printers that are fast, inexpensive and you can refill the cartridges yourself for many of the models.  I save myself at least $500 per year filling my own cartridges.  This is the place I buy the refill kits and toner from:

tonerrefillkits.com

You can refill cartridges at least 3 times in my experience, sometimes as many as 10 times before the cartridge starts to play out.  With cartridges running over $100 ea for a lot of models, you can save a lot of money in a hurry.

Lots of printers now also have a counter chip that comes on each cartridge you buy.  When the counter hits the manufacturer's chosen number of printed pages, the printer will refuse to print using the cartridge.  But the outfit linked above has a solution for that, too - they also sell you new reset chips as part of the package.  You just pop the old one off, peel the backing and stick the new one on and zoom you're off and running again.

And they toss a few candy treats in the box, just like Sweetwater!  I love these guys...

It takes me about 5 minutes to refill a cartridge.  It's kinda messy, yeah, so I take it out to the backyard...

nat whilk ii

Archived