Detuning problem update

Shawn76

• Members

So it's been a few months since I posted about the floor tom problem I was having.

It's not gotten any better. I have tried lock washers and replaced the inserts so I called Yamaha again today to see what next,they are sending out something else for me to install and see if it helps and if so they will give me enough for the entire kit.

I am finding that half of my kit detunes badly after about an hour of use. The 10" tom will have 2 lugs loosen so much that a wrinkle forms in the head. I am so annoyed and pissed cause I have spent so much on the shell pack alone and should not have these problems. The guy I spoke with at Yamaha is an ass as well and says it's normal to have to retune after an hour of play.I understand a drum detunes after some use,but not to the point of what mine is doing. He is making every excuse up to make it look like it's all my fault and I don't know what I am doing.

I really like my kit and it does sound good when tuned right but this is just getting a little annoying having to tune it everyday.I tweak here and there would be fine with me and expected but not a floppy water bed sounding floor tom after an hour of use.

I am thinking next year of going with a Pearl kit.I am really impressed with my Masters snare I am really thinking it's time to get a masters kit and build a kit around my snare now.

• Members

The guy I spoke with at Yamaha is an ass as well and says it's normal to have to retune after an hour of play.I understand a drum detunes after some use,but not to the point of what mine is doing. He is making every excuse up to make it look like it's all my fault and I don't know what I am doing.

The unfortunate thing is, nobody can give a solid assessment on this being bunk or perfectly accurate.

The thing is, once a tension rod begins loosening from playing, it CAN loosen off quite a bit, and depending on how you hit the drum itself, that CAN set up a chain reaction with other tension rods so that the drum DOES de-tune significantly.

It may not be a question of 'fault' at all: it may just be that those drums mixed with the way you play means your heads are going to de-tune.

Archived