• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by acid tester
      Thanks all

You're welcome.

In case any "youngsters" were wondering about arthritis, that pinky shot will clear it all up!

Comment

Whoa DG that sure looks painful. I hope that isn't your hand.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote">
        <div class="quote_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<i>Originally posted by sickman </i><br />
        <font size="1"><b>Some day you're going to be old and no chick is going to want to have sexual relations with you... probably not even your wife. If you're lucky, they may still want to hear you make music. </b></font>

</div>
        </div>
        </div> </div>

Comment

yeah, growing old sucks. You spend all that time learning how to play and, BAM!, it's all over. What a waste.

At 40, I just found myself unable to play because I somehow tweaked my pinky playing guitar. I've always played as hard as I want without any problems... but all of a sudden it hurt like hell to press my pinky on a string. It was sorta like a stone bruise at the very tip (and that first joint had a dull pain, too). It scared the **************** out of me.

I decided I wouldn't touch the guitar until I thought my finger might be healed. After over a month, I'm back to playing, but not with reckless abandon like I used to. I now have to fret the strings lightly and more on the fleshy part because I can tell that, if I don't, it'll happen again.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Rebel, Rebel</div>

Comment

Originally posted by thisllub
            Whoa DG that sure looks painful. I hope that isn't your hand.

Yep, thisllub, that's my hand. But, it actually doesn't hurt!
            And, so far anyway, it's just the pinky on each hand.
            Since I've simply not let it slow me down, I've probably figured out workarounds or something as it slowly crept up on me.
            I'm still bending the B string at the third fret, for example, on one song with that pinky. Use it or lose it, is what my doc told me, and I'm goin' with that!

Comment

arthritis, oh dear. By the way I am new here, but at my age new isn't a word I apply to myself very often. I have arthritis in my shoulders, very frustrating. I had to give up my heavier guitars--like a hollowbody jazz guitar.
              So far I just take ibupropen l, abut 800 strength my Dr. prescirbed). I have been told about glucenomine (sp) havent tried it yet. The arthritis hasn't gotten to my hands yet. I had bad hand injuries when I was young, and took years to get better. I am playing as much as I can while I can.
              I am sorry to hear of your pain trying to play. Maybe Ibopropen, (advil, motrin( can help. A freind of mine uses DMSO for her horse and herself. I guess it works great. You might try it too. I am going to try it next. They also sell shark cartillege. My spelling sucks.

Comment

Somehow, in a strange way, I feel better knowing I'm not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by kayotik
                  arthritis, oh dear. By the way I am new here, but at my age new isn't a word I apply to myself very often. I have arthritis in my shoulders, very frustrating. I had to give up my heavier guitars--like a hollowbody jazz guitar.
                  So far I just take ibupropen l, abut 800 strength my Dr. prescirbed). I have been told about glucenomine (sp) havent tried it yet. The arthritis hasn't gotten to my hands yet. I had bad hand injuries when I was young, and took years to get better. I am playing as much as I can while I can.
                  I am sorry to hear of your pain trying to play. Maybe Ibopropen, (advil, motrin( can help. A freind of mine uses DMSO for her horse and herself. I guess it works great. You might try it too. I am going to try it next. They also sell shark cartillege. My spelling sucks.

Hey kayotik! Haven't I seen you around before? Maybe at the acoustic guitar magazine forum or something? Anyway, welcome to the forums! About the DMSO; their is a newer compound, called MSM, that is very similar to DMSO, but doesn't..uh..STINK!
                  In fact, the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement I take has MSM along with it. I just assume that maybe the MSM helps the absorption of the other two, or maybe it has it's own beneficial dealey. There are even MSM ointments to rub on sore joints...kinda like people do with DMSO on their expensive racehorses! I forget who has a book published on MSM, but he's a doctor from OHSU, and the same person who initially broke the news on DMSO.
                  edit: Dr. Stanley Jacob
                  Much of the info available on MSM is from companies pushing products, so just remember that, and if you "google" something about this, try to stay close to info from the initial research conducted from Dr. Jacob.

Comment

Hi, yes I was on the forums about a year ago, (Kayotick123) went away and came back. Dropped the 123 since now I can play more than just 3/4 time!!!
                    Thanks for the info about DMSO/ MSM. Glad to be back and see the good people are still here.

Comment

Originally posted by kayotik
                      Hi, yes I was on the forums about a year ago, (Kayotick123) went away and came back. Dropped the 123 since now I can play more than just 3/4 time!!!
                      Thanks for the info about DMSO/ MSM. Glad to be back and see the good people are still here.

Hahahaha! Hey, good seein' ya'again, then!
                      And..many folks would do well to learn to PLAY in 3/4 time!
                      In fact, I've got a song, a medley, that starts with a "cowboy waltz" in it, and morphs into 4/4 time. Good to see you're continuing to play, get better, and have more fun!

Comment

All of you have posted a bunch of good things to take. I take glucosamine sulfate every day and Advil or aleve every now and then. I'm 39 with arthritus in my back, right hand and left knee. I know this old indian woman who lives near here and she says to get out in the sunlight. She's not really a witch doctor just a smart old woman. She says that you body produces "endocrines"(sp) that helps you control pain and more of them are produced when you are exposed to sunlight. Maybe that is why arthritus seems to always hurt more when it is rainy.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://home.ripway.com/2004-4/107425/pictures/IMG_1627.jpg" target="_blank">My guitars hanging around(updated)</a><br />
                        <a href="http://home.ripway.com/2004-4/107425/music/signature.mp3" target="_blank">My signature</a><br />
                        <br />
                        </div>

Comment

woody b
                          that information about sunlight makes sense. In the paciftc NW where I grew up, people used to move south to deal with arthritis--it seemed to help--no doubt because of the sun you mentioned.
                          Anyway, having a good reason to laze about in the sun playing guitar sounds great to me! I'll definitely go for that!! Sorry to hear about your arthritis at such a young age. Hope it gets better and the stuff you take for it works.

Comment

Working...
                          X