X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for PoppyT's Talent theory

At least as a physical component of talent.  

Study: Violinists' Fates Resides in Their Left Pinky Fingers

pinky lifter

Attached Files

I have a left pinky that can do it all.
    My bowing sucks however.

Comment

• Opa John
      Opa John commented
      Editing a comment

My left pinky got through all of those gymnastics with flying colors, but my fiddle playing still sucks. Most of my double stops sound like crap and I don't think I'll ever get the vibrato down. And.....I never was any good at improvisation. My violin, however, is real purty to look at.

The very last sentence in that article just about sums it all up for me.

I still believe that these issues like the pinky one can be worked through.  Either that or you can find a competent instructor to drill you until you get it.  I've never encountered any music that couldn't be mastered with some heavy doses of practice and discipline.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-<br><br>Here's some cool songs I've been working on! Check em out!<br><br>https://soundcloud.com/aguy3422

Comment

• Neal
      Neal commented
      Editing a comment

rainrainwash3 wrote:

I still believe that these issues like the pinky one can be worked through.  Either that or you can find a competent instructor to drill you until you get it.  I've never encountered any music that couldn't be mastered with some heavy doses of practice and discipline.

And the most important, desire.  Or maybe it's the 2nd... anyway, that's an aspect of the holy trinity, practice, desire, disipline.

• jamesp
      jamesp commented
      Editing a comment

rainrainwash3 wrote:

Maybe.  The problem is that while an 18%er works to overcome this handicap, the competition moves ahead.  After that they're constantly playing catch-up with no real chance of gaining on players having equal amounts of talent and desire.  It's like the Hockey player example in the beginning of Outliers.  With only so many chairs to fill, the slightest early disadvantage sorts a player out of the running.    

Working...
X