Cracked Bridge??

Howie22

• Members

Take a look at this and see what you think. . .

2013-02-27\_20-40-20\_990.jpg

This is my new Eastman AC220. I noticed playing it the other day that there's a crack in the bridge. So far as I can tell, it only looks superficial at this point. I don't "think" that the crack penetrates down into the bridge very far, but it's hard to really tell.

It's still under warranty.

• Members

FretFiend. wrote:

That crack is no problem now, but I would be afraid it would get worse later. You said it. It's still under warranty. Get it looked at while it is.

Actually, it's already worse since taking this picture last night. I put new strings on after taking this picture (first set I've put on it since getting it a couple of months ago), and the tension from the new strings has caused it to crack more. The crack is now clearly visible all the way out to both E string pegholes, and it doesn't seem to be fond of staying in tune.

I guess I'll be digging out my receipt and taking it back in to the dealer. This kinda gives me a bad vibe about the guitar. I'm hoping they'll just let me return it instead of making a repair.

I've owned about a dozen different guitars off and on over the past six or eight years. The only ones I've had trouble with are the ones that said "Made In China" on the label. I'm thinking there may be a lesson here?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Got my new Eastman AC220 on Monday. Looks fairly identical to the other one. Sounds great, and plays well! That's good, because I won't need to take it for a setup immediately.

I do want to replace the bridge pins, probably with black TUSQ - maybe Rosewood or ebony. Anyone know what size fits Eastman?

• Members

Howie22 wrote:

Got my new Eastman AC220 on Monday. Looks fairly identical to the other one. Sounds great, and plays well! That's good, because I won't need to take it for a setup immediately.

I do want to replace the bridge pins, probably with black TUSQ - maybe Rosewood or ebony. Anyone know what size fits Eastman?

Glad to hear it, Howie.   Bob Colosi doesn't show Eastman in his chart, but tells how to measure your pins (at the bottom of the page).   If you don't have one, take a pin to a machinist or an auto parts store where they will have a digital caliper

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp

You can also call Bob and see if he knows and just hasn't put it on the web page.

Archived