Dimarzio or Bare Knuckle pickup suggestion

bugsbunny

• Members

I am planning to have a luthier build a guitar for me from Warmoth materials and here’s the spec:

Body: chambered Jazzmaster body from swamp ash with a non-tremolo fix bridge

Neck: maple neck with rosewood fretboard

I want a single coil in neck and a humbucker in bridge and look for the following characteristics:

Single coil in neck:

Clean tone: very soft and clean for pop, R&B, fusion, and jazz. I do not want something that sounds harsh with too much treble.

Distortion: preferably can do a typical Guns N' Roses solo, but I am willing to trade off for clean sound if need to compromise.

Humbucker in bridge:

Distortion: full, thick, and fat with lots of clarity. I do not care about the clean sound here.

In addition, I want the sound to be very 3 dimensional (for the lack of better description); I’ve been playing some Ibanez Prestige RG types guitar with Dimarzio PAF in neck and Super Distortion in bridge – while they sound great, I always feel the tone is “2 dimensional” and “flat” even compared to a much cheaper Gibson SG or Schecter super strat, so I am not sure if that’s an Ibanez problem or pickup problem.

I mainly play pop, fusion, rock, alternatives and grunge. For examples, Oasis, Garbage, Alanis Morissette, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains. I am not looking to clone any of the tone; just want a good sounding guitar that can get close enough to have fun.

Let me know your suggestion!

• Members

You probably need to look at a P90 of some sort for the neck.

as for the bridge.... there are so many pick ups that would do what you want, with some obvious differences .... I could still consider a PAF type pick up there.

Gibson do make some of the best P90 and PAF types, but other do too.

good luck!!!!

Archived