Tried some Ernie ball strings this weekend......

GuitarRules

• Members

well, I needed to change the strings on my Epi Elitist this weekend and I have been using GHS Boomers (from my local music store, not Wal-Mart, hehehe) so decided, heck, lets try something different and purchased a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (10-46).

Went home and put them on and quite honestly I am not too terribly impressed by them. They are just "ok". My Les paul actually sounded less bright with the EB's (and I have grown to really like the brightness) and I don't know if this is possible but they seem stiffer (i.e. harder to bend). I am going to see how long they last and actually play them enough to get used to them before I make a final judgement but I think I like the GHS Boomers quite a bit more at this stage.

Oh well, that's it, hehe.

• Members

Originally posted by GuitarRules

well, I needed to change the strings on my Epi Elitist this weekend and I have been using GHS Boomers (from my local music store, not Wal-Mart, hehehe) so decided, heck, lets try something different and purchased a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (10-46).

Went home and put them on and quite honestly I am not too terribly impressed by them. They are just "ok". My Les paul actually sounded less bright with the EB's (and I have grown to really like the brightness) and I don't know if this is possible but they seem stiffer (i.e. harder to bend). I am going to see how long they last and actually play them enough to get used to them before I make a final judgement but I think I like the GHS Boomers quite a bit more at this stage.

Oh well, that's it, hehe.

I'm absolutely convinced that when it comes to strings it really boils down to individual ears....your experience with those two string companies and mine are almost 180 degrees....I'd used EB's forever and tried GHS....nah. Having tried just about every string under the sun in the past 30+ years, I have to say the only string that I've ever put on my guitar that I truly believe is a BETTER product is Pyramid. I swear, I put those things on, tuned 'em and they were awesome. Sounded better for a way longer time. Only problem with them is they are pretty pricey, and I have to mail order 'em....their picks are great as well....

• Members

I just switched from EB strings to D'addario's on my OLP and for drop D tunings The Eb's can't match it. The Eb's seemed a bit tinny acoustically as well. As well as corroding really quickly after week. I wipe down my guitar after every use so I can't really explain this. I've switched to Dean Markley for my nylon acoustic as well from GHS. The GHS just has better balance across the board.

• Members

There's no doubt that strings are purely a matter of preference and everyones ears are different. I do want to play these a while before I decide whether or not to go back to GHS though because in fairness, I have been playing GHS since I started lessons 7 months ago and they are all i know. The EB's are not bad.....just different. I want to give them enough time......who knows, I may grow to like them more. I will say that clean wise, the GHS's sound quite a bit better....but maybe thats me :D

• Members

I have used most of the major brands and keep comming back to EBs...I get 'em rather cheap and they play/sound fine (when you change 'em often, price does start to play a factor). I too find GHS strings brighter when they are first installed but they tend to lose that brightness rather quickly.

• Members

There's no doubt that strings are purely a matter of preference and everyones ears are different. I do want to play these a while before I decide whether or not to go back to GHS though because in fairness, I have been playing GHS since I started lessons 7 months ago and they are all i know. The EB's are not bad.....just different. I want to give them enough time......who knows, I may grow to like them more. I will say that clean wise, the GHS's sound quite a bit better....but maybe thats me
:D

give it time and try a bunch of different brands..in the evolution of your prefs, at 7 months, you are sill on the front side of the curve.

• Members

LOL....

Thanks K4.....yeah I am new but I do play/practice 7 days a week (very hard to do with 2 kids and a 10 month old chocalate lab, lol) and I am starting to notice some subtle things as I learn, etc. I have been "messing" around on acoustics for many years. And you are right about the GHS's...they do tend to lose a bit of their flavor after aabout two weeks for me....I jury is still out on the EB's in that regard.

Batotman...

What's your string of choice?

• Members

I like in order:

1. ) D'Addario. Cheap, long lasting.
2. ) Dean Markley Blue Steels. Long lasting, but more pricey. D'addario only takes preference due to cost.
3.) DR. Decent priced, last awhile but don't seem to last as long as the blue steels.

• Members

My problems with EB and GHS include: opening a package and having RUST on them (keep in mind i only order from MF so stuff hasn't been sitting on the shelf), life goes out of them pretty fast, and namely breaking wound strings, which is unheard of for any other brand I've used. GHS is the only brand I've broken an "A" string on.....twice! lol

At first I thought that maybe it was just my guitar having a sharp saddle, but nope. Changed to D'Addario's and haven't broke a string since.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

My problems with EB and GHS include: opening a package and having RUST on them (keep in mind i only order from MF so stuff hasn't been sitting on the shelf), life goes out of them pretty fast, and namely breaking wound strings, which is unheard of for any other brand I've used. GHS is the only brand I've broken an "A" string on.....twice! lol

At first I thought that maybe it was just my guitar having a sharp saddle, but nope. Changed to D'Addario's and haven't broke a string since.

how do you know how long they have been sitting on the shelf at the MF warehouse or up till you got them? I have never ordered strings from MF but have never had a rusty pack of either brand.

• Members

Easy, stuff moves FAST there!

And it just wasn't one shipment either.

I have no idea how fast strings move there to be honest. Like I previously posted, I have never once found a rusty pack of either GHS or EBs that I can recall.

• Members

never had any rust issues with the GHS and I have never broken a string either....and your talking to a guy who leaves his strings on for 2 months before changing, hehe.

I will try the deam markley blue steels next .....just to be fair of course.

I am open minded when it comes to this stuff.

Ya know, I do own an Elitist but I don't consider it to be better than anything else.........and now I want a dang Gibson:mad:

• Members

Not typical but funny.....

My Squier Strat had the same set of Blue Steels from 1997-2004. SEVEN YEARS!!!! I thought damn it sounds good, will sound even better after I change them. Too bad it lost some of the mojo after the string change! :(

• Members

My Squier Strat had the same set of Blue Steels from 1997-2004. SEVEN YEARS!!!! I thought damn it sounds good, will sound even better after I change them. Too bad it lost some of the mojo after the string change!
:(

Take that switch and those tubes outta your sig!

The MO should show up today or tomorrow---

• Members

My Squier Strat had the same set of Blue Steels from 1997-2004. SEVEN YEARS!!!! I thought damn it sounds good, will sound even better after I change them. Too bad it lost some of the mojo after the string change!
:(

Seven years????? dam

• Members

I switched this weekend from EB Regular Slinky (10) to Power Slinky (11). At first I hated them, murder on my fingers and didn't sound right. I warmed up to them last night. My finger tips are all white and hard now :)

I think I am going back to 10-gauge though. They just sound better to me and I really can hit the right harmonics on them.

• Members

Yeah, the EB's are definately stiffer but that is just a matter of getting used to.....i can't seem to do pinch harmonics quite as easily on the EB''s either but what the hell....I can't do them very well to begin with, LOL
;)

perhaps a silly question but with the EB 10s feeling stiffer...what guage of GHS strings were you using?

• Members

k4...

Same size....10 to 46 (and no I am not that stupid, hehehehe). I don't know it's hard to explain but the GHS's feel a little "slinkier"......and that's ironic cause the EB's are called "Slinkys"......LOL. That is strictly a feel thing though and I would guess within a day or two it will feel natural so no big deal really. I am going to be curious as to how long these babies last.

Archived