No announcement yet.

Fender Lead II

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Lead II

I was haunting a local guitar store and seen a used Fender Lead II for sale. I have never played one before and found quite nice to play. It's used and they are asking $225 for it. I think it's a 1980. Here's the thing. It's all factory original except the paint on the body... the previous owner used a rattle can and painted it metal flake blue... and did a piss poor job. The neck is great and there seems to be very little fret wear (if any). All the hardware is factory and seems in great shape. It plays really well (could use a proper set up) and the pups seems good.

My question: is it worth it? I'm thinking I may want to get it and then redo the body (I'm thinking a transparent stain and clear, depending on the wood underneath). I'm on the fence over this one. It would be a fun project, but would I ever get my money back out of it?
    I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

What happens up north, stays up north

Take it, take it, take it! One of my favorite guitarists, Roger Miller of Mission of Burma, uses a Lead II pretty much exclusively and has glorious tone.

They go for $500 or more on eBay. You'll get your money's worth--if you want to sell, that is.
    Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

If it plays nice buy it and refinish it. It will be fun project.

Max
      What Me Worry?
      http://www.hotboxrox.com/

Comment

I do like the lil'guy and it's seems fun to play. I'm going to stop in tonight and give it a good going over and run it through a proper amp (I was using a rocktron the first time). This may be my winter project... I'll know more tonight. $225 isn't a big investment and might be just what I need to keep me out of trouble.
        I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

What happens up north, stays up north

Comment

Man, I wish I could score a Lead II for $225. I have my Strat rigged up with a neck-on switch so I can have the neck + bridge setting, and use that for all my cleans.
          Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

I bought a Fender Lead ll brand new in '80 and it was a great guitar. It was my first "real" guitar. I wish I still had it now. You don't see too many around anymore. You should grab it for sure.

Comment

They were fun guitars. Check the body isn't plywood before you decide on finish. A few of them were - still sounded good though.

Comment

The black finish on those would go bad and turn to some kind of spotty blue meanie
                CHANGE: 1. Demoralization 2. Destabilization 3. Crisis 4. Normalization

Comment

If you don't take it send me the address...I'll drive all day and all nite for that deal...oke:

...also...these guitars were notorious for major finish issues...checking, peeling, discolorations...a proper re-finish does not really effect their value...

GO GET IT...NOW, DAMMIT!

Comment

If you don't take it send me the address...I'll drive all day and all nite for that deal...oke:

...also...these guitars were notorious for major finish issues...checking, peeling, discolorations...a proper re-finish does not really effect their value...

GO GET IT...NOW, DAMMIT!

what Jello said.
                    ~Heel

Comment

I really like those. Nice, substantial weight to them. A friend of mine has a flawless one that's a true joy to play. I'll put up some pictures later if I remember, or maybe I'll just leave for a few more months. ;-)
                      SPAM:
                      Dunlop DC Brick, Digitech JAMMAN Solo.

Comment

I really like those. Nice, substantial weight to them. A friend of mine has a flawless one that's a true joy to play. I'll put up some pictures later if I remember, or maybe I'll just leave for a few more months. ;-)

That's a weird thing about the Lead series. They're all either REALLY heavy (compared to a Strat), or REALLY light. I've never played one that was in-between.
                        ~Heel

Comment

They were fun guitars. Check the body isn't plywood before you decide on finish. A few of them were - still sounded good though.

Never heard that before. Both of mine were super dense swamp ash. Heavy as hell. Tons-o-sustain though. I heard somewhere that Fender created the Lead series essentially to empty out the parts bins at the Fullerton plant before they closed it - so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a huge variation in quality.

I really think Fender screwed the pooch by not using a lighter wood for the Lead. With its small size and skinny neck it would've been the perfect solidbody for female players. Certainly better than a Mustang or Jaguar for most types of rock.

Comment

That's a weird thing about the Lead series. They're all either REALLY heavy (compared to a Strat), or REALLY light. I've never played one that was in-between.

Yeah, this one was about as heavy as my '52 Tele. Most of the ones at Chicago Music Exchange weigh quite a bit less. I kind of like the heavier ones.
                            SPAM:
                            Dunlop DC Brick, Digitech JAMMAN Solo.

Comment

I was haunting a local guitar store and seen a used Fender Lead II for sale. I have never played one before and found quite nice to play. It's used and they are asking $225 for it. I think it's a 1980. Here's the thing. It's all factory original except the paint on the body... the previous owner used a rattle can and painted it metal flake blue... and did a piss poor job. The neck is great and there seems to be very little fret wear (if any). All the hardware is factory and seems in great shape. It plays really well (could use a proper set up) and the pups seems good.

My question: is it worth it? I'm thinking I may want to get it and then redo the body (I'm thinking a transparent stain and clear, depending on the wood underneath). I'm on the fence over this one. It would be a fun project, but would I ever get my money back out of it?

Definately worth it!!!! Is it possible the original finish is under the rattlecan? I've seen that more than once, and the rattle can should come off way easier than the original finish.
                              1984 Gibson Explorer with Kahler, 2006 Gibson Faded SG , 1994 Hamer Special, 1982 Squier Japan Strat, 1958 Harmony Monterey , 2000 Fender Telecoustic Paisley, Univox Ripper, Fullerton Movibe HH , Fernandes Darth Vader Nomad, 2 Squier mod 51's, Traben Limited edition Bass, Dean Baby ML, Westone superstrat, Fender TC-90, Schecter 006
                              Sovtek Mig 50 w Marshall 1966b cab, Sovtek Mig 60 and Sunn Lead Cab, Gregory Apollo 800,Earth Sound bass head and Carvin cabs

Comment

Working...
                              X