Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on pickups for PRS Semi Hollow...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on pickups for PRS Semi Hollow...

I was not satisfied with the stock pickups, so I swapped them for a Tonezone/Air Norton combo. They still sound muddy and midrangy thru my Blackstar HT-1R. Should I go for another set of pickups, maybe Dimarzio Air Classics neck/bridge, or use an EQ pedal? Or will my Blackstar make any guitar sound muddy and midrangy? I know they are not particularly popular for cleans but I've left (accidentally) my amp on for 9 straight hours (twice this month). Could that account for that awful muffled sound?

I know my questions are flying left and right, sorry about that, just want to pick your brains guys!
    PRS SE Torero
    Washburn RX-20
    Yamaha EG112
    Blackstar HT-1R
    Zoom G3
    Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Maybe you need to see if the pots are 500K and the tone cap is a value you like. Also try adjusting pickup height.
    Guitars: PRS, Fender, Gibson, Epi
    Pedals: Octophant, Wilson, Danelectro, Monsterpiece, Way Huge, Custom, Line 6
    Amps: Egnater, Ampeg

Good deals (70+!)

Comment

I'd take it to a tech.

Personally, I wouldn't mod a guitar that expensive. If it didn't do it for me the way it was built, I wouldn't shell out the bank for it.

I say that after hating my burstbuckers for 3 years. Still do.
      dharmaforone.bandcamp.comListen to my music and such.Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

I'd take it to a tech.

Personally, I wouldn't mod a guitar that expensive. If it didn't do it for me the way it was built, I wouldn't shell out the bank for it.

I say that after hating my burstbuckers for 3 years. Still do.

Pretty sure it's a SE model, as it says in his sig.
        Guitars: PRS, Fender, Gibson, Epi
        Pedals: Octophant, Wilson, Danelectro, Monsterpiece, Way Huge, Custom, Line 6
        Amps: Egnater, Ampeg

Good deals (70+!)

Comment

BG Pure 90s.
          P90s in humbucker size. Just drop them right in, no modifications to the guitar needed.
          All the balls of a humbucker but with definition and clarity. No mud at all. Plus, they compliment a semihollow's character perfectly.

Comment

I was not satisfied with the stock pickups, so I swapped them for a Tonezone/Air Norton combo. They still sound muddy and midrangy thru my Blackstar HT-1R. Should I go for another set of pickups, maybe Dimarzio Air Classics neck/bridge, or use an EQ pedal? Or will my Blackstar make any guitar sound muddy and midrangy? I know they are not particularly popular for cleans but I've left (accidentally) my amp on for 9 straight hours (twice this month). Could that account for that awful muffled sound?

I know my questions are flying left and right, sorry about that, just want to pick your brains guys!

I had split the coils in the HB's on my stock PRS semi hollow SE pickups with a push pull tone switch. I like the tone single and full using a Deluxe Reverb. The full HB bridge has a nice thick tone. The neck single almost has a P90 tone, What amp are you using? What is it you do not like? Is it a soap bar version?

Comment

Bump for the evening audience
              PRS SE Torero
              Washburn RX-20
              Yamaha EG112
              Blackstar HT-1R
              Zoom G3
              Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Comment

Rose Pickups A4 Day Breakers or A2 Californias, absolutely 0 mudd. The Day Breakers sound very Gretschy. Contact Ken, he'll hook you up.

The BG Pure 90's mentioned above would be an GREAT choice also.
                GUITARS:
                Fender MIM Standard Strat
                Hand Made SG Replica
                Epiphone DOT Studio
                Westbury Standard
                Cort X-5
                New Dawn Signature Prototype
                Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
                Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
                AMPS:
                Crate VC3112
                Fender Mustang II