X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff
    View Post

News from the new world! You can now listen to MP3s more than once!

Yeah, but Rocksmith is way more efficient than listening to an MP3 37 times to figure out one small riff.
    No sig.

Comment

1. The game format encourages improvement and practice.

2. Watching the tab on screen encourages one to commit the fretboard to muscle memory (no time to look for the 7th fret, just gotta hit it).

3. Helps the player to learn to play songs at full speed.

Nothing wrong with other methods, but I've practiced (and improved) more the past year with Rocksmith than in the last 10 years.

Granted, it's not perfect, but the good outweighs the bad in my opinion.

Comment

Not to sound like a dick, but people that say they are tonedeaf or don't have the talent do know they can train their ear I hope! When I started playing I was far from a natural. This was 26 years ago before the net so if you wanted to learn songs you put on the tape or record and used your ears. I joined a band early so I had no choice, but to put the time in to learn how to use my ear. If you put the time in you will learn and get better at it. In time it will become second nature. In my mind this is a must do if you are at all serious about becoming a better player and much appreciated by people you play with. I am sure there is tons of advice out there now on things you can do to help train your ear. Something that can help is to play a note and find the pitch with your voice at the same time and keep doing this with all the notes on the fretboard.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by thecornman
          View Post

Not to sound like a dick, but people that say they are tonedeaf or don't have the talent do know they can train their ear I hope!

Ear training is like modes and sight reading. It makes sense if you want to be a musician. I just want to play guitar.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus
            View Post

For some of us with a decided lack of talent, that's hard. By the time I'd figure out where the first note is on the fretboard, the song would be half over.

I can relate

View Post

Not to sound like a dick, but people that say they are tonedeaf or don't have the talent do know they can train their ear I hope! When I started playing I was far from a natural. This was 26 years ago before the net so if you wanted to learn songs you put on the tape or record and used your ears. I joined a band early so I had no choice, but to put the time in to learn how to use my ear. If you put the time in you will learn and get better at it. In time it will become second nature. In my mind this is a must do if you are at all serious about becoming a better player and much appreciated by people you play with. I am sure there is tons of advice out there now on things you can do to help train your ear. Something that can help is to play a note and find the pitch with your voice at the same time and keep doing this with all the notes on the fretboard.

I'm serious about being a better player and while I might be better at learning by ear it is very very far from natural for me (and I'm sure a lot of others). Things like other instruments make it very hard for my non musical brain to figure things out. I am more likely to stumble on a song that I am to figure it out intentionally. I also started before the net and tab and really struggled as a result. Those that have musical talent really cannot relate to those that do not because they cannot see why it is so hard for some...believe me it is and I work at playing every day. It's hard to want to be a musician when you are a musical idiot

However all that aside while I am not familiar with Rocksmith I wonder how it differs from getting tabs and backing tracks that don't have the guitar (from guitarbackingtrack.com for example) which is what I use a lot to try and work out songs that I want to play. I'm all for more methods to learn if they can help.
            Originally Posted by Frets99
            I held one note through the whole thing and grimaced like I was being taken from behind by a camel.....

Member MAZI BEE KICK ASS MILITIA
            HCGB #251
            Guitars: F15 Fender Acoustic, F385 Takamine 12 String Acoustic, MIM Fender Strat with BG V60's, MIK Fender Blackout Tele with BG Pure90s, Reverend Manta Ray
            Amps: Mesa TA-15, White Box 1x12 cab, Crate V18 1-12
            Some Pedals

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rockbot
              View Post

1. The game format encourages improvement and practice.

2. Watching the tab on screen encourages one to commit the fretboard to muscle memory (no time to look for the 7th fret, just gotta hit it).

3. Helps the player to learn to play songs at full speed.

Nothing wrong with other methods, but I've practiced (and improved) more the past year with Rocksmith than in the last 10 years.

Granted, it's not perfect, but the good outweighs the bad in my opinion.

That was the biggest bonus for me. Rocksmith has really helped my ability to sight read.

Comment

View Post

Yeah, but Rocksmith is way more efficient than listening to an MP3 37 times to figure out one small riff.

Have a joyous lunch.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc
                  View Post

Ear training is like modes and sight reading. It makes sense if you want to be a musician. I just want to play guitar.

Exactly my attitude. I want to play guitar, not learn to transpose. Just because people had to learn songs by ear 20-odd years ago doesn't mean I have to go through the same difficult process today.
                  No sig.

Comment

[QUOTE=nuke_diver;47239055]I can relate

I'm serious about being a better player and while I might be better at learning by ear it is very very far from natural for me (and I'm sure a lot of others). Things like other instruments make it very hard for my non musical brain to figure things out. I am more likely to stumble on a song that I am to figure it out intentionally. I also started before the net and tab and really struggled as a result. Those that have musical talent really cannot relate to those that do not because they cannot see why it is so hard for some...believe me it is and I work at playing every day. It's hard to want to be a musician when you are a musical idiot

However all that aside while I am not familiar with Rocksmith I wonder how it differs from getting tabs and backing tracks that don't have the guitar (from guitarbackingtrack.com for example) which is what I use a lot to try and work out songs that I want to play. I'm all for more methods to learn if they can help.[/QUOTE

Again I was not trying to cut people down! I know some have a natural ear and some don't. I didn't, but with time and actually using it that changed. Anybody that can hear can do it.

You use your ears to listen to music! Does it not make sense to use them to play music.

Comment

View Post

Exactly my attitude. I want to play guitar, not learn to transpose. Just because people had to learn songs by ear 20-odd years ago doesn't mean I have to go through the same difficult process today.

My point was it is not a difficult process once you have put a bit of time in it! If you just want to play guitar and don't care what you are hearing why bother tuning it?

Comment

View Post

My point was it is not a difficult process once you have put a bit of time in it! If you just want to play guitar and don't care what you are hearing why bother tuning it?

There's a segment of HCEG composed of super-busy guys with many commitments. They've got no time for the tuning / the practicing / etc., and they just want to ROCK and ROCK NOW. Many of them have thousands and thousands of posts, so somehow they find time for the keyboard and the forum. Go figure.
                        Check out my gear, rigs and soundclips at http://www.rigscope.com!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by cheezit66
                          View Post

Many of them have thousands and thousands of posts, so somehow they find time for the keyboard and the forum. Go figure.

Sitting at your desk typing on the forums looks pretty much like work to the casual observer; sitting at your desk practicing guitar ain't fooling anyone.
                          Punk rock is a work ethic.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by cheezit66
                            View Post

Many of them have thousands and thousands of posts, so somehow they find time for the keyboard and the forum. Go figure.

Sitting at your desk typing on the forums looks pretty much like work to the casual observer; sitting at your desk practicing guitar ain't fooling anyone.
                            Punk rock is a work ethic.

Comment

View Post

Again I was not trying to cut people down! I know some have a natural ear and some don't. I didn't, but with time and actually using it that changed. Anybody that can hear can do it.

You use your ears to listen to music! Does it not make sense to use them to play music.

I never said you were cutting anyone one down. But I seriously doubt I can effectively learn by ear. As Cheesit66 says I'm one of those busy guys. I wasn't able to do it when I wasn't so busy and not going to have the time now. Even after years of playing I can barely tell the difference between a major and minor chord. I know guys that can tell you if a chord is a Am7 by listening to the some and I couldn't tell you that it was even a m7 let alone an A. I trouble with timing too (the number of times my instructor has said "that's played on the upbeat" and I've given him a WTF look is uncountable. Bottomline is one approach cannot work for everyone. If the approach works why bash it.

I did look at the software a bit (what isn't block) and it seems interesting though I'll have to do more research.

I do get my forum time by posting at work where I don't have access to a guitar. When I go home I don't go on the forums when I have free time I go play. By the time I warmup/practice/play some stuff I want and some original stuff I'm working on...its time for bed
                              Originally Posted by Frets99
                              I held one note through the whole thing and grimaced like I was being taken from behind by a camel.....

Member MAZI BEE KICK ASS MILITIA
                              HCGB #251
                              Guitars: F15 Fender Acoustic, F385 Takamine 12 String Acoustic, MIM Fender Strat with BG V60's, MIK Fender Blackout Tele with BG Pure90s, Reverend Manta Ray
                              Amps: Mesa TA-15, White Box 1x12 cab, Crate V18 1-12
                              Some Pedals

Comment

I have Rocksmith on the Xbox.

It's fun. I don't need to learn any songs but it gives me a workout.

Its good.

And unlike guitar Hero I can beat the kids.
                                Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab
                                Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville
                                Gibson- 76 LP '55 model
                                BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe
                                Martin- 1972 D-35
                                Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12" EVM 12L-F cab.
                                Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.
                                "Many are cold, few are frozen"

Comment

Working...
                                X