X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocksmith, now on PC

When the Rocksmith video game came out a couple of years ago, there were complaints about it being available only on xBox and Playstation. It's been released for PC this fall.

I really can't say enough good things about this game. If you don't know what it is, it allows you to play along with a bunch of songs using a real guitar, not a fake one with plastic buttons.

It comes with a good range of songs, and you can download additional songs (through the Steam interface) for a low fee. Black Keys, Queen, Velvet Revolver, Megadeath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rolling Stones, Rush, Pantera, White Stripes, David Bowie, the Police, Pearl Jam, etc etc.

I play way more guitar these days connected to Rocksmith than I do connected to an amp. I'm finding it a great practice tool.
    No sig.

I think it is a good game for people just getting into playing! Other then that I really don't see much use for it. I would rather just throw a song I really want to learn on and figure it out by ear myself. I did not like how you have to start out with the dummied down version before it lets you play the rest. I like to learn a song at a much faster pace.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by thecornman
      View Post

I think it is a good game for people just getting into playing! Other then that I really don't see much use for it. I would rather just throw a song I really want to learn on and figure it out by ear myself. I did not like how you have to start out with the dummied down version before it lets you play the rest. I like to learn a song at a much faster pace.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I find it very useful.
      No sig.

Comment

I already have Rocksmith for PS3. I would probably buy it again for Mac or iOS, but I walked away from Microsoft

Comment

Yeah, I have had PC version for a while. probably the PC port is worse than console versions in many ways, for example I can't use my high quality sound hardware on the computer, it doesn't support it, I have to switch speaker plugs and change hardware settings, and latency ends up being poor.

The whole thing seemed like a mediocre package to me, song choices weren't bad but lacking in the famous guitar songs you would expect. Arcade stuff I thought was junk. I thought it should give you statistics like how good your timing was, instead it seems to just say like, 90 or 100 percent even if timing was off a bit. It's really just a song drill and feedback device rather than a game. But it's the first of what will probably be many 'real instrument games' so we'll have to wait for better stuff.

One of the highlights for me was a hidden song called Space Ostrich, it's tricky, I'm at 92% but getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by thecornman
          View Post

Oh, almost for got about that. Yeah some songs that feature is OK, others it's like learning the wrong riff before the right one. Very bad idea. For those that don't know, it is possible to start a riff at 100% in riff repeater, you pause and set mastery to 100, and in accelerator you can slow down the riff etc. which is better than learning part of it first.

Comment

But it's the first of what will probably be many 'real instrument games' so we'll have to wait for better stuff.

That

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus
              View Post

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I find it very useful.

Ya for sure! Just wasn't for me.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc
                View Post

But it's the first of what will probably be many 'real instrument games' so we'll have to wait for better stuff.

That
                No sig.

Comment

View Post

I do agree that the interface could be better, but I'm also willing to forgive it. I'd like to see a way for people to submit their own tabs, but I suppose that runs into song licensing issues.

It

Comment

I'm confused. What's wrong with playing along to an MP3?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff
                      View Post

For us tone-deaf folks it

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc
                        View Post

For us tone-deaf folks it

Comment

Duplicate
                          No sig.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff
                            View Post

For some of us with a decided lack of talent, that's hard. By the time I'd figure out where the first note is on the fretboard, the song would be half over.
                            No sig.

Comment

View Post

For some of us with a decided lack of talent, that's hard. By the time I'd figure out where the first note is on the fretboard, the song would be half over.

News from the new world! You can now listen to MP3s more than once!

Comment

Working...
                              X