X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely low tuning, and a pretty guitar picture

The next time you see some sludge metal band playing in drop-A or some other absurdly low tuning, remember the galaxy cluster Abell 426.  At its center is a supermassive black hole, spraying jets of material through the hot gas that surrounds it.  This generates bubbles in the gas which expand and set up acoustic waves.  We know the speed of sound in the gas and we can measure the wavelength, so we can figure out the note.  It turns out the black hole is playing B flat, 57 octaves below middle C.  Slipknot are pikers in comparison.

For your GPOTD, I give you the Guitar Nebula.  It's caused by the fastest known moving star, a neutron star moving 3.6 million mph plowing through interstellar gas- the shock wave forms the body with a nicely glowing headstock from the recent passage

Yeah, I know it's off topic, but I got the latest issue of Sky&Telescope that mentioned both and I enjoyed the collision of my two main hobbies.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Former</b> gold medal winner, &quot;Least Equipment on HCEG Forums&quot;</div>

That's interesting.  I've often felt like the downtuned music of today was a bit empty but had never considered that the music is gradually progressing toward a black hole.  If only the music would devolve a little faster, I might be able to witness one of these bands getting sucked away.  

x

Attached Files
    I don't give a d.a.m.n about hypes, fanclubs or tonal religions. All I care about is what works for me.<br><br>&quot;...it's not religion that's the problem, but any system of thought that insists that one group of people are inviolably in the right, whereas the others are in the wrong and must somehow be punished.&quot; ~ Rod Liddle<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=631095&amp;content=music">JROCK BRIDGE MUSIC</a>

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X