Guitar Setups - Glasgow, Scotland

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Setups - Glasgow, Scotland

Hey

Can anyone tell me the best place to get a full pro setup??? I need to get some work done a bunch of guitars, so want a great place.

I know of 2 that are highly rated..............

Strung Out Guitars

and Jimmy Egypt

Anyone let me know their experience with these guys. Ideally for electrical, refrets and fret dress.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers
    Del

Del

Comment

I use Jimmy Moon on Pollockshaws Road.

www.moonguitars.co.uk

Comment

I forgot about that one. Any good?
        Del

Comment

Are all techs in Glasgow called Jimmy?
          Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

LOL

Comment

Ha ha.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My guitar projects: http://diystrat.blogspot.com

Comment

considering the quality of the acoustics that Moon makes, I'd be tempted to go there, although I know a few people who have been to Jimmy Egypt and were pleased - does he still work out of Otago Street?

Comment

Jimmy Moon would be my first pick, although I shouldn't think his work comes too cheap.
                  Avalon L32Cx
                  Martin D-15
                  1970ish Yamaha FG110
                  Deering Goodtime banjo
                  Reverend Roundhouse 290, Laney VC15-110

Comment

I was hoping to find someone who had tried Strung Out Guitars. They let me borrow an amp once very kindly, but I'd rather find someone who'd used them

Moon guitars are great, but I didn't know he did repairs. I live really close to there, so that would be good.

A few people have said they use Jimmy Egypt and I've only heard good things

Strung Out Guitars are by far the newest on the block, but have a pretty impressive client list.

Just wish I could find someone who's had a full pro setup

Everyone in Glasgow is called Jimmy. Even the ladies

Cheers

Jimmy
                    Del

Comment

And I think he's still based out of the old CC Music

http://www.strungoutguitars.com/
                      Del

Comment

Jimmy Moon is one of the legendary repair and set up men.
                        Professor Tom

Comment

I know by reputation his guitars are world class, but whats he like for basic repairs like setups and fret dress. Or is using him overkill???

I pressume expensive??? I cant find price lists for any of these guys
                          Del

Comment

I know by reputation his guitars are world class, but whats he like for basic repairs like setups and fret dress. Or is using him overkill???

I pressume expensive??? I cant find price lists for any of these guys

I guess give him a bell and ask him. The one good thing about using real pros for basic work is that you can learn a lot from them, they'll often spot stuff that you don't and improve aspects you hadn't thought of and theyre excellent people to know when you come to buy a special guitar.

I'd say definitely give him a bell
                            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

I had my LP refretted and completely (re)setup - including new Bare Knuckle pickups by Jimmy Egypt.

It was a brilliant job, even down to replacing the fret binding. Looking at it, there's no way you can tell it's been refretted.

Another place to consider is the tech at Guitar Guitar, Trongate. I can't remember his name though.
                              Electric: Gibson LP Classic, Fender American Deluxe Strat, Vintage AV6P

Acoustic: Yamaha APX500

Comment

Working...
                              X