Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's in a Les Paul, Blasphemy?

Would you put EMG's in a Les Paul?  Would it be a moot point doing so?  Do most guitars sound the same with EMG's anyway?  Doesn't it take away the whole point of having a Les Paul, you know, that beautiful, thick lead and crunch?

One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Hell yes, no, HELL no and no.

Comment

Since when are EMGs incapable of thick lead and crunch?

Comment

• trashbeast
        trashbeast commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly. People who like actives know why. There's no truth to that "they sound the same in every guitar" crap. That's just silly. They sound completely different in my mahogony ESP then they do in my alder jackson for example.

• billybilly
        billybilly commented
        Editing a comment

jpnyc wrote:

Since when are EMGs incapable of thick lead and crunch?

True, wrong adjectives.

billybilly wrote:

Would you put EMG's in a Les Paul?

No, but I can see why others do.

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
      Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

• BydoEmpire
        BydoEmpire commented
        Editing a comment

noisebloom wrote:

billybilly wrote:

Would you put EMG's in a Les Paul?

No, but I can see why others do.

This.  Not blasphemy at all.  Play what you like and what sounds good to your ears.

I have little experience with active guitar pickups, but I have considered putting them in a guitar that kust wasn't working with a few different passive sets. Actives are great on bass, why not guitar?
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• slvrsrpnt
        slvrsrpnt commented
        Editing a comment

kayd_mon wrote:
         Actives are great on bass, why not guitar?

people don't actually listen to the bass, it's there to make the guitars sound better .png" alt=":smileytongue:" title="Smiley Tongue" />

Well then. So you don't consider EMGs into a Les Paul blasphemy, I take it?
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• billybilly
        billybilly commented
        Editing a comment

kayd_mon wrote:
        Well then. So you don't consider EMGs into a Les Paul blasphemy, I take it?

Me?  I'll answer anyway.  I really don't care either way but it was a little dull here so I took it upon myself to spice it up a bit.  I'm a bad boy.  .png" alt=":smileyhappy:" title="Smiley Happy" />

@burninator
      With that response, I see that I agree with you. The majority of people who listen to music don't think about how the music is made, just whether or not they like it. I also think that an EMG LP is perfect for people who like how activities can be tailored.

Comment

• Yer Blues
        Yer Blues commented
        Editing a comment

I have been listening to Ozzy's Live and Loud this week.... so I will say not blasphemy.

What makes a Les Paul different from any other guitar? Is EMG's in a Strat blasphemy? In a Tele? Do they lack dynamics?

Let's ask these guys . . .

David Gilmour

Steve Lukather

Richard Kruspe of Rammstein

Zakk Wylde

James Hetfield

Tosin Abasi

Attached Files
      Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

• billybilly
        billybilly commented
        Editing a comment

Alecto wrote:

What makes a Les Paul different from any other guitar? Is EMG's in a Strat blasphemy? In a Tele? Do they lack dynamics?

Sure, many great players use them and have used them because they have their applications, like dead quite in a live setting with heaps of lights and electroncs that create unwanted noise (or pushing through a big signal chain).     That's why Gilmour used them but if you asked him what his favourite strat was for tone, it wouldn't be his red one.

Point, they have their applications but do sacrifice tone.  At least that's what my ears say.  I really don't care what the pros use either, I'm not up on stage and have to deal with what they do.

Finally, we are all different and if you dig them that's good enough for me.

I put Emg's in all my guitars and i dont care what any of you think of me :P

Randall Army
      Equiperate EMGers Club
      Member Of The €piphone Empire
      Gear:
      Randall Amps
      Gibson guitars
      Tonepros
      Lava cable
      Dunlop/MXR

Comment

• billybilly
        billybilly commented
        Editing a comment

Harvester1199 wrote:

I put Emg's in all my guitars and i dont care what any of you think of me :P

I'm not here to judge, just throwing a bone out.  As stated before, people like what they like and that's fine with me.

It may also depend on the EMG's (and the guitar their in) you've personally had experience with...I remember a guitar I had from way back with EMGs that I sort of felt didn't have the most toneful personality (was loud, punchy and dead quiet however, so obviously worked well for rock/metal), BUT, I've since had others in my hands with EMG sets that were astonishingly toneful...Something about the first experience and their stark, covered look sort of made me equate them to having less tone personality until I heard other guitars with them...

Comment

Working...
      X