X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is "Ebonized" rosewood?

I came across a guitar site that had "ebonized rosewood" fretboards. Is that just rosewood with some special Fret Doctor on it or something?

rosewood with some dark dye applied

This space intentionally left blank

Comment

yes witty,

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather-dye/2110-01.aspx

That is what I use. It is a popular request today with all the light boards out.

Comment

• Patuney
        Patuney commented
        Editing a comment
        And the dark die stains your fingertips for quite a while. I tell people who ask that I'm a chain smoker. Probably the only vice I do not have!

• lz4005
        lz4005 commented
        Editing a comment

Several different processes have been called "ebonized" over the years, but it all amounts to different ways of cosmetically darkening lighter woods.

Is ebony that expensive or scarce that its more cost effective to dye rosewood?
      INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• jpnyc
        jpnyc commented
        Editing a comment

GreatDane wrote:

Yes. And only the best ebony is actually black, so even a lot of ebony fretboards are dyed.

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
        Editing a comment

GreatDane wrote:

Actually GD, some ebony is cheaper than some rosewood, one can buy a fretboard of each for about the same price from many luthier supplies, however imho the cost difference you see in guitras that carry an actual fretboard is a reflection of how much of a bitch it is to work with and how easy it is to trash an ebony board.

It's like trying to produce finite and definite shapes with foam or polystyrene, or even glass.

I'd sonner work stainless steel with a tootbrush.

Don't get me wrong, I love ebony, but it usually makes me cry at least once every time I make or replace an ebony board

• mschafft
        mschafft commented
        Editing a comment

double post
    Working...
    X