Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Amp Wants/Needs Have Changed...A LOT....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Amp Wants/Needs Have Changed...A LOT....

I was thinking about how many amps I've been through since I've been playing guitar.  When I moved to Austin a couple of years ago, I had nothing but tube amps...loved them, but ended up not using them in the live settings that I play in.  So, I sold them all.  Then, I sold my Mustang II, and bought this...

photo.JPG

I gotta say, it's my favorite practice amp that I've ever owned.  Bought it used, and I play probably 75\% of the time through this thing.  Clean channel is amazing, and I LOVE the distortion channels.  Effects are all I need, and it is LOUD!

For live stuff, this is all I use...

cb23d578.jpg

In fact, the speaker stays at home, and the HD500 covers everything.  Sure, I miss having my cool looking tube amps, but wow...I can cover a LOT of ground with this small, light setup...

Attached Files
    My Gear:
    2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
    1998 Squire MIM Stratocaster
    Takamine acoustic
    Fender P-Bass

You use an Epson live? Wow!

Just kidding.. 

Long sigs suck

I have a hard time getting rid of things

Comment

• Dougy
      Dougy commented
      Editing a comment

Guit-mangler wrote:

Don't be ridiculous, the Epson is obviously  part of his pro-recording setup.

Durrrrr.  

• steve_man
      steve_man commented
      Editing a comment

Guit-mangler wrote:

Just kidding.. 

Lol...yeah, kinda like EVH did with the power drill...

I went the other way around. I started with multi-fx units. I gigged a Digitech RP-7 Valve into a pair of solid state Fenders, and then I did the same thing with a POD 2.0 and a four-button footswitch. I eventually moved to single stomps into tubes (Vox).

But the important thing is that you like what you're running!
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• hardtdc
      hardtdc commented
      Editing a comment

I don't fire up the tube amps very often any more, and I have several. Mostly, I just use GR5 or run my pedal board through a tube pre into my mixer and into the computer. I do just about everything with headphones now.

• warriorpoet
      warriorpoet commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too, though I can still appreciate the digital stuff, it's just too much for what I do.

Plus, I've been known to make a few stompboxes here or there, and the ones I don't sell get lonely

I record all the time with a pair of silver face vibro champs. I agree that everything sounds great through them.

My amp needs haven't changed that much in 20 years, to be honest. I get off on a simple tube circuit and will use either a head/cab or combo amp depending on the situation.
    INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• ugameus
      ugameus commented
      Editing a comment

GreatDane wrote:    I get off on a simple tube circuit ...

This.

I have four amps and a few pedals.  Most of the time I am playing my main electric straight into a Goodsell Super 17.  My baritone I play straight into a Traynor Bassmaster.  Both simple amps with great cleans.  I play mostly clean anymore so both of these work great for me.  I do have a Straub Cantus lurking in the corner for when I want to bring the nasty.  Honestly though, I rarely play it.

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
    X