Electro Harmonix Small Stone EH4800 Problem

• Members

Hey guys, I was just given an Electro Harmonics Small Stone! I brought it home ready to rock, and then I realized, it doesn't work. In fact, it basically just acts as a kill switch. So I opened it up and replaced all the wires connected to the circuit board and put it back together. Now, when the I press the foot switch the volume drops, but still sounds the same. And when I move the knob it still sounds exactly the same. Also when I put the color switch into the down position the volume cuts completely. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I could post pictures if needed!

• Members

welcome on the board

many phasers like the phase 90 etc. have an internal trimpot to set the swee(p)t spot of the pedal, if the trimpot is off, no phasing is happening.

not sure if your small stone has also one, if so try adjust it with a screw driver to find the sweet spot

other than that, get a schematic only (google is your friend) and do some signal tracing from input to the output.

signal tracing: plug your guitar in the pedal, create a "tester cable", one end to plug into your amp, other and no plug, the ground wire should be on the housing of the pedal, the tip wire is your tester, and now you follow with the tip the signal trace of the schematic, while "playing" the guitar

listen to the signal in the amp, when on the end of the schematic you should get the phase sound if not you should be able to trace the error

• Members

Hmmmm. I'm not quite sure how to read a schematic. I did open up the pedal again to make sure the connections were solid and everything seemed fine. I did notice that the pot was somewhat "open" (by open i mean that the back of the pot was coming off). I then put it "back together" and then re-assmbeled the pedal. Once I tried it again it worked a little better. The sound now comes through no matter what position the color switch is in. But still no effect

• Members

If the pot is broken - you say the back of it was coming off?! - then it could mean the LFO / oscillator won't work and the phase will be 'stuck' in a fixed filter type of position or just won't make the right kind of sound. It could be other things too - no power, or something damaged by someone else using a wrong supply. Does the LED go on and off? If you can upload some internal pictures that might help too.

Archived