Looper that actually syncs to a MIDI clock ... and works?

spiral

• Members

I have owned a few loopers and i have yet to find one that actually syncs to a midi clock. What i want to do sounds pretty simple: Have my MPC1000 running, sending a MIDI clock signal, and have the looper line up with that tempo. ie. the first part of the phrase starts on the beat of the clock.

The 2880 was ok and synced fine but i could never actually get it to sync to the beat that i started on. It would record the phrase, i would click the button and it would timestretch all weird for a few seconds and then come back around to playing normal. Other times it would start the recording in a different spot than what i expected.

The RC50 is exactly what i need but the pitch-shift issues when slaved to a clock are pretty well-known. I had no better luck than anyone else. How can they say this syncs to a midi clock?

The reapeater is ok as well, but for some reason, this has never worked as expected either. I can never get it to line up with the actual measures of the MPC.

I'll admit i'm not the sharpest tack in the pack but all of the above are not user error. Most of them just don't work. Is there a magic box that is small, records a few layers of loops and understands MIDI clock? I am looking into getting a Riffbox in the hopes that it will finally work. Your experience?

Please help.

• Members

echoplex.

/thread

True. Hard to find though, and not really small. For all that kit i could just use a laptop or the Looperlative. Thanks for the reply. Looking for something self-contained / stompbox-esque.

• Members

RC-50. You're doing it wrong.

How so? You don't get pitch shifting when you sync to a midi clock?

ie.

http://forums.rolandclan.info/?action=show_thread&thread=17894&fid=25&page=1

http://www.loopersdelight.com/LDarchive/200702/msg00266.html

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-106548.html#106548

http://www.loopersdelight.com/LDarchive/200704/msg00241.html

My experience mirrors the above. Have you had better luck?

• Members
Ableton. I've owned all the same gear including the MPC1000 and Ableton is the only thing that works right for looping with midi sync.

Sigh. I was trying to avoid a computer, but ill have to check it out. I think i may just have to prerecord my loops/drum parts into the RC50.

• Members

That has MIDI sync?

Sigh. I was trying to avoid a computer, but ill have to check it out. I think i may just have to prerecord my loops/drum parts into the RC50.

oh you know what, the 16 sec only has midi out. I misunderstood your question. I used it to sync to a drum machine. ..but you can check this comparison that i made and see if there's anything that can help you.

the riff box has both.

• Members

oh you know what, the 16 sec only has midi out. I misunderstood your question. I used it to sync to a drum machine. ..but you can check this comparison that i made and see if there's anything that can help you.

the riff box has both.

Wow. This is an amazing document. Thanks for giving that to the world. Looks like you understand my frustration! :thu:

Have you tried the Riffbox? It looks promising. I really loved the 2880 but the weird sync issues made it a non-starter.

Thanks again.

• Members

How so? You don't get pitch shifting when you sync to a midi clock?

ie.

My experience mirrors the above. Have you had better luck?

I've had better luck, but I use it in such a way as to avoid its notable failings in the MIDI sync department. For proper sync'd looping I use a laptop, and as the RC-50 has issues, it obviously won't provide all that you need from a MIDI sync'd looper, but it's better than nothing.

• Members

Wow. This is an amazing document. Thanks for giving that to the world. Looks like you understand my frustration!
:thu:

Have you tried the Riffbox? It looks promising. I really loved the 2880 but the weird sync issues made it a non-starter.

Thanks again.

no i haven't tried the riffbox, and few here has that i know of, but the videos i've seen looked pretty good.

http://backline-eng.startlogic.com/Uploads/RiffBox_Setup.wmv

• Members

the riff box has both.

The chart is missing the Timefactor.

It also syncs to midi clock. I haven't used this feature so I don't know how or how well it works. (EDIT: After a look in the manual, I don't even know if it can be used for the looper or only to set tempo for the delays... sorry :( )

• Members

Not to me, and I have an RC-50 (but I tend to use it as a Midi master - could you provide some details?

I posted 4 links above that describe the issue. Basically the rc50 tries to stay with the master clock via midi but any slight deviations show up as your phrase pitch-shifting and basically degrading in quality. It is not subtle. Since you don't slave it to anything you would never have the issue.

• Members

Didn't like the RC-50 one bit.

Echoplex seems awesome but only one output : ( which is a bummer for me.

Ableton with a midi foot controller seems to be the best bet. I had a thread about loopers and this stuff going and someone linked demonstration videos of this guy showing his looping rig with Ableton. I know you want something stompbox like but there may not be anything like that...

• Members

As I was writing a PM to SVB about the Timefactor for his chart I looked into this a bit more closely at the same time, and unfortunately I don't think you can have the TF start recording at the beat.

Probably the closest you'd get with the TF is to have it sync the tempo to MIDI clock, then set the number of beats you want the loop to be, and set the playback mode to AP:LOOP. Then you'd have to manually start it, and after how many beats you wanted it to record, it'll automatically stop recording and start playing the loop.

• Members
If you still have the 2880, there is a software update for it that fixes a lot of the MIDI sync bugs, including the one where it pitch shifts when you hit start. Contact EHX for it.

oh that is great news! How did you hear about it? I had been checking their site and forums but saw nothing like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm about to buy a drum machine to compliment my one-man-band rc50. What'd happen if I'd connect the two together. I'm really familiar with the rc-50 but I'm not sure about all of this sync jargon. Whats the issue?

... and! What loopers similar in complexity to the rc-50 can sync with a drum machine? (if it gets to buying another looper)

• Members

... and! What loopers similar in complexity to the rc-50 can sync with a drum machine? (if it gets to buying another looper)

This was the exact point of the thread. In my opinion i think the only option is the Repeater & EHX 2880. I'm not sure what additional features you use on the RC-50 but the Electro Harmonix 2880 is a great looper and it has MIDI sync. The only issue i had was like the RC-50 it couldn't slave to another piece of gear but as cookiegalore said EHX released a software update so it is no longer an issue. So i rebought the 2880 and am enjoying it again!

So if you need MIDI sync: 2880, RC-50, Electrix Repeater, Gibson Echoplex

Audio only: tons of options.

Also, similar to what supervelcroboy posted, here is a great chart of looper comparisons (maybe that is supervelcroboy as well?):

http://www.looproom.com/looperchart.php

ps. if you are flush with cash, you can buy the Looperlative for $1500 USD + whatever foot controller you'll need but i think the RC-50 is a better deal.

• Members

The 2880 update is posted here:

Hey i never thanked you for letting me know about this. I would have totally given up otherwise. I bought the 2880 a few weeks ago. I'm glad to have it again but have yet to try the MIDI sync. Probably the best thing was the quantize fix. That was the main reason i ditched it before. It didn't work at all how it said it should.

Anyhow. Thanks!

Archived