No announcement yet.

This is a thread about the Colorsound PowerBoost and/or Overdriver

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a thread about the Colorsound PowerBoost and/or Overdriver

A local pedalbuilder made me a clone of one of these just recently (I had a NPD post, but whatever), but the honeymoon period is just about over and oh my god I'm loving this thing. Such a versatile little box. Can use it as an extra EQ stage, as a clean boost for the pushing-amp-to-overdrive thing. It's got a unique gain character to it, and with the gain pushed all the way it makes for a really impressive fuzz-ish thing, sorta reminds me of Leslie West's Mountain tone. I'm seeing quite a few possibilities with it.

Haven't the slightest idea why this thing isn't more popular. Anyone else like them, have had some experience with them?

Originally Posted by jnurp

hearing brokenhymen or whatever they are called makes me appreciate one single note from BB king that much more.

Originally Posted by jrkirkish

Obama: "The partisan divide is killing this country"
    Left side of the room: *Standing ovation*
    Right side of the room: *silence*
    Obama (later, alone and drinking): *facepalm*

I've got a Divided by 13 Joyride, which is an overdriver clone. I like it quite a bit, but it took a while to "get it" and understand where it fits in my rig. Now it has a permanent spot on my board.... I could do fine without it with humbuckers, but with single coils it sounds phenomenal.

Comment

I am a huge CSO fan. You nailed it really, they're loaded with eq/dirt/fuzz. It's a pedal that takes some serious knob tweaking to learn what all it can do. I've had a throbak, a deviltone, and currently use a Basic Audio Futureman, all of them have been wonderful IMO.

The fun:

My Novel Laugh Track
      Neurotic novelist Leonard Ornwell writes himself into the shoes of a father of two playwright with an affinity for abducting passers by and using them in his family's stage productions.
      Get The Kindle Version Here

Comment

I've always wanted to try one of those, Trombetta makes a nice looking clone.
        Originally Posted by TheHarakiriEnd

Since when are 64.567% of the threads here related to James Joyce?

mustang> noiseswash> pog2> rat> beast> mf102> dd7> fx90> hrdeluxe

want:
        anything by -
        4ms
        mid-fi
        moogerfoogers (on the cheapz)

Comment

Yeah, truth be told I dunno if I've really explored all the possibilities of it, but I've been enticed by it so far. And I'm finally starting to figure out the benefits of dirt stacking....don't have a Big Muff to go with it a la Gilmour, but running it after a Devi Ever Hyperion, it really does make a difference, gives it an extra level of oomph.

Might as well put the pic of mine up. Stars provide extra mojo, or so I'm told.

hearing brokenhymen or whatever they are called makes me appreciate one single note from BB king that much more.

Comment

I've got the Prescription Electronics clone and it's easily one of my favorite dirt/boost boxes. Ridiculous amounts of volume when you need it, a very unique fuzz with the gain cranked, very responsive EQ knobs. Sounds great running into a 5E3. I also like using it to slam the front end of a Tonebender. I've been toying with the idea of building another one to tweak a few components and see what else it's capable of. Maybe even germanium transistors for kicks.

Comment

Like your Leslie West/Mountain reference, the ODer reminds me of the SamAsh AstroFuzz/Analogman AstroTone. Marketed as a fuzz, the AstroFuzz/Tone has very mild gain characteristics, very overdrive=ish as opposed to fuzzy. While you dont get a LOT of gain, the tone is very nice, super sweet and probably proves excellent for stacking with other gain fx.

kind of an esoteric pedal to bring up 'casually' - what brought this gem up in your mind? only reason why i ask is cuz due to the FreekishBlues/JOYO fiasco, i noticed that one of their pedals was citing the Colorsound ODer as a tonal reference... did the negative attention work? is that what brought it to the foreground for you? just a question, no need to get incensed about the FB/JOYO connection i hope! Colorsound FX have a very large soft spot in my heart after all is said and done - the enclosures, the graphics, the TONE... great fx that are hard to come by!
              Originally Posted by Operator

I wish I could go back in time and punch Floyd Rose in the face.

Comment

ive got a colorsound ri power boost and it IS an awesome pedal.

oh, and strat > pb> mesa boogie mark 2.....jaw drop'd
                OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

Comment

I have an Overdriver RI - superb pedal.

Before getting the reissue, I had a '79 wide-case, 3-knob Overdriver - that's a great pedal too, but I really wanted the master volume control.

I also had a Power Boost RI for a short time and a Throbak Overdrive Boost - the Throbak is great too, but I think the extra options kind of diluted the pedal a bit for me... I could never really settle on a sound and was constantly tweaking it. In some instances options and versatility are good things, but sometimes they can get in the way of playing and making music.

Great Deals With: sparkfriction, Elessar [Sly], WAWBanks, SG1, robw, eerock, deftoneboy, gae86, Army of Darkness, beexter, Robzilla, woolyh, ollenorin, gjhardwick, miffa 55, steinwand, digital, indigoguy, mr benn, silent-strat, chrispy108, Kayzer, jo_to_2, attic, uncle psychosis, Astatine, JBJ, red_riviera, Loobster, melx, gambit, ampman1989, TheBrainPolice, HeartfeltDawn, extremelybored, IvIark, CitizenErased, Jakkeh, garymcq, Jockman, ChrisB, Teleman1985, benmuky

Comment

that gearmandude video makes me really lust for one...

Comment

I have an Overdriver RI - superb pedal.

Before getting the reissue, I had a '79 wide-case, 3-knob Overdriver - that's a great pedal too, but I really wanted the master volume control.

I also had a Power Boost RI for a short time and a Throbak Overdrive Boost - the Throbak is great too, but I think the extra options kind of diluted the pedal a bit for me... I could never really settle on a sound and was constantly tweaking it. In some instances options and versatility are good things, but sometimes they can get in the way of playing and making music.

see? SEE? TOO MANY CHOICES dilute the result. simple and analog controlled is teh way!
                      OTHERWORLDLY. Psychedelic, Noise, Shoegaze.Joey Levenson on SoundCloud

Comment

see? SEE? TOO MANY CHOICES dilute the result. simple and analog controlled is teh way!

Truth be told this might be why I limit myself to a small board for effects. Too many options, hell, i wouldn't know what to do. I'm semi-overwhelmed as is.

Comment

the ODer reminds me of the SamAsh AstroFuzz/Analogman AstroTone. Marketed as a fuzz, the AstroFuzz/Tone has very mild gain characteristics, very overdrive=ish as opposed to fuzzy. While you dont get a LOT of gain, the tone is very nice, super sweet and probably proves excellent for stacking with other gain fx.

I have an ATF on my board and while it is an AWESOME sounding fuzz particularly into smaller amps, I don't think it has the same amount of asskicking beef an ODer does. Mike's well-voiced mods to the Tone circuit certainly added versatility to a fairly limited sounding pedal, but the ODer has a ton more boost and a bigger overall sound I think.

The other pedals I've tried that have a similar thing happening are the Skreddy Screw Driver and Black Cat OD-1, though neither are specifically going for the ODer sound they still have some traits that can put you in the neighborhood.

I lubs mah durty boosts!

Comment

This is certainly true for most things in my experience.

Comment

I use a Smittydriver clone, love it
                              great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Working...
                              X