Pedalboard wiring question

antiuser

• Members

My board is a bit of an odd duck, it evolved naturally from experimentation during band practices, based on the guitar sounds I needed. Since we're a trio (guitar/drums/bass), I need to fill as much space as possible while staying as faithful as I can to the songs. So I came up with this design, with an A/B box to turn on a "noise/loop board", which has a digital delay set to loop and an iPhone going into the volume pedal. The output of the volume pedal and the A output from the A/B box then go into a Y box, through the tuner and finally to the amp.

The idea is I can have a background sample from the iphone playing, or a little phrase or whatever looping on the delay pedal, then bypass the noise board to play other stuff while the output from it still goes to the amp, and I can control the level of that output or cut it off entirely through the volume pedal. The problem I'm having is, even with the noise board bypassed, the volume pedal still affects the guitar sound, as if it was never bypassed. I'm assuming it's because of the Y box, because the "bypassed" signal never gets to the delay pedal.

Anyway, tl;dr version: the volume pedal on this is always affecting the signal even when it's supposed to be bypassed. How do I wire this board so that the volume pedal only works on what's coming out of the iphone/delay pedal?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]339120[/ATTACH]

• Members

You probably need a mixer rather than the y box. Impedance mismatch issues are likely culprits. A cheap and pedalboard-friendly solution is the behringer MX400, which IIRC runs at about $25 brand new. I use one on my bass board to mix biamped fx chains. It's tiny, 4 in 1 out, and should deal with your problem I think. It's active, low-noise, small, metal box, only issue is that it needs a 12v supply - won't run off a 1spot. But it comes with its own supply, so it's not a big deal.

Steve

• Members

Will an impedance mismatch make the volume pedal affect the overall signal though?

I'm not an electronics guy, but back in the day I played a few times with 2 people plugged into the same amp via a Y connector. Adjusting your guitar's volume in that setting affects the other guys volume too. So I'm sure that this is pretty much the same deal.

Steve

• Members

Actually, this would also seem to be a perfect application for the Boss LS2... But I don't own one of them, and I do own the Behringer, so I can't say for sure. But IIRC the LS2 allows you to switch between 2 separate signal paths, and would therefore remove the need for your ABY and your Y. Check that out too.

Steve

• Members

Actually, this would also seem to be a perfect application for the Boss LS2... But I don't own one of them, and I do own the Behringer, so I can't say for sure. But IIRC the LS2 allows you to switch between 2 separate signal paths, and would therefore remove the need for your ABY and your Y. Check that out too.

Steve

this works - i have 2 different signal paths, going to 2 different amp setups, and i use the ls-2.

Archived