Running Stereo Amps With Stereo FX Loop Effects - But One Amp Has No FX Loop

GeorgeJohnson

• Members

Let's see if I can make this make sense...

My original setup was designed to run half my board into the front of the amp (Comp, OD, Boost, Tuner) and the other half into the FX loop (Chorus, Delay, Reverbs). This has worked perfectly for me for the past year and a half or so, until I wanted to venture into the realms of stereo...

I have recently purchased a vintage AC30 which has the 6 inputs, but no FX loop. I want to run the pedals that are designed to go into the front of the amp out into the two amplifiers, but I then want the FX loop section of the board to also run stereo. Now, instinct would tell me that I need to get the signal that's going into the AC30 and split the signal so half runs straight to the amp, and the other half runs into the fx loop, and then back out and into the amp, however, I'm not sure this would work and it seems very complicated to me.

Any ideas? All advice will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

The routing would be simple enough I think:

A/B/Y pedal after front end effects into both amps.

A/B/Y pedal after FX send pedals into FX return and amp front end.

Don't let my opinion stop you but here are the things I would think of first-

Does the AC30 use all inputs at the same time???

You'll be going out of the fx loop send into another amp... not sure if that is safe or not (I would think it is but you should be absolutely sure before doing so)

also if you are going out of the SEND you have to complete the loop and go into the RETURN. 

also take note that since your AC30 doesn't have an fx loop you will be going through the front of the amp with your chorus/delays/reverbs which will essentially be undoing what you set out to do by doing through the fx loop.  

Furthermore if you are going to be joining two amps through the front with pedals and an fx loop there are bound to be ground issues, bleed through, etc so you will definitely need TWO active A/B/Y pedals which are pretty expensive. This I think could be a nightmare chasing down buzz or pedals issues.

Personally I would just forgo the FX Loop all together and just run stereo, but then I would have to ask are you using STEREO Chorus/Delays/Reverbs?  Otherwise I think it would probably be a moot point really...

just my two cents so YMMV and GOOD LUCK!

• Members

If I understand correctly, you have two amps, the AC30 and the other amp with an effects loop.

Just run your effects loop amp normally, with the usual pedals in front and the usual pedals in the loop.

Hopefully, the last pedal in the effect loop chain will have stereo outs, so run the right output back to the return of the effect loop amp, and the left output back to the input of the AC30.

All the front-of-the-amp pedals will still be heard through the Vox, because everything going through the pre-amp of the other amp is going to the effects send of that amp, then through the loop effects, then split to the two amps for stereo.

Easy peasy. You just need one cable to go from the last effect in the loop chain to the Vox.

Archived