Replacing Tubes in Mesa 50/50?

bluecosmo5050

• Members

I don't put a lot of use on my Mesa 50/50 but recently I came down with a health problem which led to financial problems and I had to move to a new location. The Mesa 50/50 is stored in a very cold environment with water around it, it will fill up a de humidifier in a matter of minutes.

Because of what it did to my leather jacket, which was only stored there two weeks, (Some type of Mold mildew from conditions,) I assume I'm gonna have to change the tubes on the Mesa. I have never changed Mesa tubes. I've had other brands of tube amps in head form but never rack form and never where it doesn't need to be biased.

It has 2 12ax7's in it which are called, "Tube drivers," and then 4 6L6.

It's had Mesa tubes in it the whole time I've had it, before I bought it, although an older model, the gentlemen who sold it to me put new tubes in it and said he had it serviced.

Do I need to put Mesa Tubes back in it? If so, is there any variation in 6L6 I should be aware of? The 12ax7's, Mesa as well? I take it that all I do is pop them out and pop them in?

When the guy who sold it to me said he had it, "Serviced," what does he mean by this? Being as that the Bias can't change what exactly would cause me to need to have it serviced? Is that just a version of letting Mesa install the tubes instead of me?

Archived