Egnater MOD 100 review

mctallica1

• Members

The amp was waiting for me when I got home (was away on business when it was delivered) and I have spent about 3 hours playing it this morning.

As you may know, i have owned several Randall RM100's and think they are great amps. The whole modeling tube amp concept is very apealing to me.

WIeght of this thing is very similar to the Randall RM100, which is th eheaviest amp head I have ever picked up.

One of my key points of consideration is/was: Is the additional price for the Egnater really worth it?

You can get the RM100 with modules for less than half the price of the Egnater with the same amount of modules. My initial impression is that the Egnater is worth the extra cash (at least to me). The build quality of the amp itself is noticeably better (though the RM100's I've owned were all very well built), the 2 channels per module are a big plus and the overall tone is just cleaner and "feels" better to play.

I currently have the following modules:

DLX

Erect

MHG

EG3/4

1086 (Randall)

modded Ultra (Randall)

Each of the Egnater modules has 2 channels with shared bass/midd/treble/bright (3 position) and depth (3 position) and seperate gain and volume controls. The channels are, of course voiced very similar,. but there is enough of a difference to make 2 seperate sounds.

DLX... channel A can be extremely clean and if you crank the gain it can get into pretty cool country twand territory. Surprisingly, I can not (yet) find a real good bluesy tone. Channel B has a warmer clean character and can also get into country twang territory, but seems to ahve a bit deeper voicing. I currently use A with some grit and B for my clean tone. The overall voicing of the module is very Fenderish, but I have not spent enough time with fenders to say wether this nails the amp it is modeled after or not... but it definitely gets the job done. Very nice module

ERect.... To me, both channels on this module sound the same. I have it set up with channel A gain at about 11 oclock and channel b gain at around 2 oclock. This one nails Recto tone, but with a tighter bottom. Takes my 808 as a boost very well also. Excellent Module!

MHG... I was expecting great things from this module, but truth is, I don't like it much. The bottom is very loose (palm mutes sound like mush) and the gain control on both channels is pretty much useless past 11 oclock... it turns to fuzz. I called Egnater this morning and spoke with Frank and am sending this module to have it modded to be more like a 2 channel Ultra module.

EG 3/4... just showed up on my doorstep and have not tried it yet... will add my thoughts after I play it for a bit.

1086.... This module has gotten a lot of hype and I have to say it is well deserved. It is the most versatile mid to hgh gain module in Randall's arsenal IMHO. it can do Plexi all the way up to a mix of Boogie and Marshall high gain. Very tight and articulate. Barring me finding an Egnater module that can do everything this does, it is a keeper.

Modded Ultra... Pantera tone in a module plus a whole lot more. I love it. Depending how the Egnater MHG sounds after the mod, ths one may be sold.

The footswitch is very sturdy and easy to step on one button without hitting another.

I am running it through my Voodoo cab with v30's. I had planned to use my Bogner cab, btu the amp sounds a bit fizzy through that cab. Maybe it is picky about the cab and speakers you use. haven't plugged it into any others to say for sure, but it definitely sounds better through the Voodoo.

I did switch the V1 preamp tube to a Tung Sol re issue. It came to me with all EH preamp tubes, including in all the Egnater modules.

My opinion, based just on build quality and tone is that the amp is definitely a big step up from the Randall stuff I have owned..... is that enough to justify the price difference? I really don't know.

The real clincher for me is that you have 6 channels on a 3 module amp AND the fact that Egnater will mod the modules to your specs. they do charge $150 plus shipping for this, so it ain't cheap, but they do it. And last, but certainly not least, they will make custom modules for you for $500. I asked about several amps I would be interested in modeling and there was only one Frank wasn't sure if they could do.

They also have a Dumble/Mark IIC module in beta and it should be available in 3 or 4 months.

Overall, I think this amp is on par with any boutique/high end amp I have owned to date, but with more flexability. If the custom modules can do what they say they can, I can see a point in the future where this is my only amp with 15 or so modules based on the amps I love.

f8_3.jpg

48_3.jpg

e3_3.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

very cool Tony, sounds like a great setup. I'm really curious about these and the randall. I'm slowly but surely building up my rack and I'd love to have an authentic recto tone as well as a few others. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for one of the pres or maybe an rm100.

mJ

• Members

I wonder if there's some variation in the Egnater stuff.... I could hear a pretty substantial difference in the A and B settings of the E-rect module in the one I had. I was sure they had voiced one to be like the Red (tight modern) and the other to be like the Orange channel (chewy 'vintage') of a dual Rec.

Also the MHG module was my favorite out of the ones I tried - I found the bottom end to be pretty damn tight and harmonics and pick squeals just flew out of that thing like nothing else I've ever played. It was bordering on microphonic with too much gain though.. even after swapping preamp tubes.

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

How does it sound different than the RM100? more clarity, depth, tighter, ?

Pete

Yes, yes and yes.

I would compare it to the difference a Voodoo mod makes to an amp. Keeps the same basic character, btu tightens up everything and makes it overall better.

• Members

Originally posted by mctallica1

Yes, yes and yes.

I would compare it to the difference a Voodoo mod makes to an amp. Keeps the same basic character, btu tightens up everything and makes it overall better.

Do you think the main difference is in the modules or the chassis part? Once I get mine in, I'm wondering if there's room to jam Sozos in one of the boards. :)

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

How much did you pay for that and all the modules, didn't you say that the modules are like $500 each? Is it really worth all that money? I'd assume that thing is approaching Diezel type prices.

I paid $2399 plus shipping for the amp and 3 modules.

I think they are $2999 street price, but not positive. The modules are $399 each at indoor storm, which seems to be the place to get this stuff. I got the EG3/4 for $275.

When you compare the price of the amp and modules to owning the same number of individual amps, this is MUCH less expensive. I am not going to try and convince anyone it is for them. I can only say that it apears to be well worth my money.

Is it worth it? I am sure to some it is not. To me, I think the answer is yes. It is equally as good as any amp I have owned to date and more versatile than any of them.

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Do you think the main difference is in the modules or the chassis part? Once I get mine in, I'm wondering if there's room to jam Sozos in one of the boards.
:)

Pete

I think it is a combination of both. I have played Egnater modules in my Randall RM100's and don't remember having the same impression of a big difference in tone.

• Members

Congrats on your MOD100!!! You should certainly try the SL2......it's my favorite Egnater module. Perfect old EVH on channel A and Doug Aldrich/John Sykes on channel B :D

I would love to have an Uber/Herbert module.....

Randy, I think you are correct. My MOD100 (which I bought from you) sounds totally different after Bruce finished tweaking it......

• Members

Originally posted by Herbert

Congrats on your MOD100!!! You should certainly try the SL2......it's my favorite Egnater module. Perfect old EVH on channel A and Doug Aldrich/John Sykes on channel B
:D

Randy, I think you are correct. My MOD100 (which I bought from you) sounds totally different after Bruce finished tweaking it......

I'm glad you're still digging it.. :thu:

He must keep coming up with refinements to his designs.

• Members

Originally posted by Herbert

Congrats on your MOD100!!! You should certainly try the SL2......it's my favorite Egnater module. Perfect old EVH on channel A and Doug Aldrich/John Sykes on channel B
:D

The SL2 is next on my radar:p

I got to play the EG 3/4 for a bit and it is pretty much what I expected. Very good for rock type tones, but not aggressive enough for metal. My bet is that I will be able to cover similar ground with the SL2, but with nore gain on tap. If that is true, the 3/4 will get sold.

• Members

The real clincher for me is that you have 6 channels on a 3 module amp AND the fact that Egnater will mod the modules to your specs. they do charge $150 plus shipping for this, so it ain't cheap, but they do it. And last, but certainly not least, they will make custom modules for you for $500. I asked about several amps I would be interested in modeling and there was only one Frank wasn't sure if they could do.

that sounds like a really cool concept. i think this will be very appealing to people playing in cover bands that need variety. thumps up for a cool product.

• Members

Well, I finally found a tone on the MHG module that is somewhat useable. I cranked the mids and put the treble at about 3 oclock and it got a bit less fizzy and farty... I also put Tung SOl reissue tubes in it. It isn't repulsive any more, but still not even close to something I would keep. I wonder if there is something wrong with the module:confused:

Oh well... off to get the Ultra mod done:thu:

• Members

Well, I finally found a tone on the MHG module that is somewhat useable. I cranked the mids and put the treble at about 3 oclock and it got a bit less fizzy and farty... I also put Tung SOl reissue tubes in it. It isn't repulsive any more, but still not even close to something I would keep. I wonder if there is something wrong with the module:confused:

Oh well... off to get the Ultra mod done:thu:

MAKE SURE THE BASS BOOST ON THAT MODULE IS NOT ON (KEEP IN CENTER POSITION). Also helps to keep the master density/deep bass knob at about 9:00 if playing fairly loud.

Archived