Ampeg V-2 vs. B-25

Loxley

• Members

The B25 is basicly the head version of a b15 combo , that was paired with a 2x15 cab . Great amps and can often be had cheap . About 50 watts , Ampeg made that combo in 12's 15's and a 18 fliptop . Bassist love these amps and the b15 is in every pro studio and probably the most recorded bass amp in history . Here's Jimi playing through one

[YOUTUBE]nhOwHKEHP8A[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

V2 and the b25 were both intended as bass amps to some degree. Both run 7027's. The 7027's was an industrial 6L6 with 2 extra pins and put out about 35 watts each depending on the circut. 6L6's will fit right in with no mods to the amp. Most modern 7027's are relabeled 6L6's the sound differences really are negliable. The b25 is brighter and can get crunchy they put out about 60 watts. There are 3 versions of the b25.

B-25 no reverb

B-25B same as B-25 but with Reverb

B-22x(or jupiter as it's called) same as B-25 but with the addition of reverb,echo,, and tremelo.

If want big fuzzy tons and use lots of fuzz/distotion pedals and like a darker sound go V-2. If you want a brighter sound that can get crunchy with just a overdrive go with the b-25

• Members

Hua and a tele - I think you may have some info mixed up. Then again, maybe I do?

According to the Ampeg book the B25 and the B25B are the same amp. The B25 was marketed towards guitarists. It was released at the summer NAMM show in 1969 and discontinued by the end of the year. The B25B was a bass amp and continued for a few years. The only difference between the two was the cabinet. To my knowledge neither amp has reverb.

If want big fuzzy tons and use lots of fuzz/distotion pedals and like a darker sound go V-2. If you want a brighter sound that can get crunchy with just a overdrive go with the b-25

That's a pretty good rundown to my ears. Although the B25 can get dark as well. I have a B25 and a VT40 which is a V2 in a 4x10" combo. There are big sound differences in these amps. The V2 is more tweakable and it's easier to get some crunch/gain out of it. The B25 gets a really nice, thick old school grind if you jump the channels. Both are great, bar room brawler amps.

AL

• Members

There was also the VT-212 and the VT-40- I own a VT-40, and can tell you that:

1) it's a great guitar amp. Too much to explain it all in the short time I have this morning, and

2) it sucks for bass, primarily because the speakers can NOT handle the lows. Different speakers would probably fix that.

3) Mine's for sale, not because I don't like it (I do,) but because I have too many amps. PM me.

• Members

Hua and a tele - I think you may have some info mixed up. Then again, maybe I do?

According to the Ampeg book the B25 and the B25B are the same amp. The B25 was marketed towards guitarists. It was released at the summer NAMM show in 1969 and discontinued by the end of the year. The B25B was a bass amp and continued for a few years. The only difference between the two was the cabinet. To my knowledge neither amp has reverb.

AL

It's early you're right. I was thinking of the gemini

Archived