Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Windsor info and opinions needed.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for $200?

if you're lucky you can get the vtm for 200.
    I got mine for $220.
    You should have no trouble finding one for 300 or less though.
    GIBSON | PRS | SQUIER | EPIPHONE | BLACKSTAR | PEAVEY | MARSHALL | JET CITY | CRATE (ZOMG!!!)

The Band

Good Transactions

Originally Posted by Ovid9

I thought it was more the fact your walls were covered in pictures of skinny guys with long hair.

How did you fap in a room like that?

Proud owner of the first NAD of the new HC

Comment

I gotta agree.... If someone came to me and said "I want a newer head, that really only does ONE sound, and that ONE sound is kind of an AC/DC thing, and that is the ONLY thing I really want." I might then point him to the Windsor.

Not one of my all time favs...
      The gear:
      Peavey Classic 30 Head/ Wiggy 212 Cab
      Peavey Vypyr T120 / Peavey Vypyr 75
      Budda SDII 18 112 combo
      Peavey XXX Super 40efx / Peavey Classic 30
      Marshall Super Lead 100 '74 / Fender Vibro Champ
      Peavey VK Royal 8 /
      Various Gibson, Fender, and PEAVEY guitars.
      Too many pedals.

Comment

200 is too much for a used windsor. I see them for less than 200 all the time.
        The one i had at home for a couple days sounded "similar" to my single channel 800's. Just less ballsy and a bit less articulate. If you jack them up with a tubescreamer in front they are very good sounding rock amps.
        Build quality is NOTHING like an old 800, though that is to be expected for a cheap import amp.

Comment

200 is too much for a used windsor. I see them for less than 200 all the time.
          The one i had at home for a couple days sounded "similar" to my single channel 800's. Just less ballsy and a bit less articulate. If you jack them up with a tubescreamer in front they are very good sounding rock amps.
          Build quality is NOTHING like an old 800, though that is to be expected for a cheap import amp.

realistically you're not going to find one for much cheaper than 200.
          They may have gotten blown out at Guitar Center for that price new, but it seems to be holding at that amount in the used market.
          GIBSON | PRS | SQUIER | EPIPHONE | BLACKSTAR | PEAVEY | MARSHALL | JET CITY | CRATE (ZOMG!!!)

The Band

Good Transactions

Originally Posted by Ovid9

I thought it was more the fact your walls were covered in pictures of skinny guys with long hair.

How did you fap in a room like that?

Proud owner of the first NAD of the new HC

Comment

I wouldn't pay $50 for a Windsor. It's just not worth it. You'd need to have around $600 worth of mods done to make it sound decent, and that defeats the purpose of buying a cheap amp.

I agree with everyone about the VTM. See if you can find one of those or a Butcher, and then have me build you a new headshell for it, so that it looks as good as it sounds.
            "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." --Stephen Roberts

Comment

I wouldn't pay $50 for a Windsor. It's just not worth it. You'd need to have around $600 worth of mods done to make it sound decent, and that defeats the purpose of buying a cheap amp.

I agree with everyone about the VTM. See if you can find one of those or a Butcher, and then have me build you a new headshell for it, so that it looks as good as it sounds.

I did about 200.00 worth on mine, and it OWNS. NOT FOR SALE. 400.00 total for a world class amp, series parallel loop switchable loop, and cleans up very well with just the volume knob on my guitar.

Comment

From what I gather they're a good platform for modding if you're that way inclined. Main beef I've heard is that the cathodyne phase inverter isnt all that well designed which leads to all sorts of ugly when its overdriven.

This
                and it's not to hard to turn PI into LTP.
                As of right now I'm in the planning phases of what I'm going to do to it mod wise.
                I think I'm going to add an extra tube and use halve of it for a 4gs overdrive channel and 1/2 for a fenderish clean channel.
                Jca 50h/ 100h/ 22h Mod thread and Owners Club
                Jca20H Mod thread and owners club
                Like me on facebook
                Follow me on twitter

Comment

I did about 200.00 worth on mine, and it OWNS. NOT FOR SALE. 400.00 total for a world class amp, series parallel loop switchable loop, and cleans up very well with just the volume knob on my guitar.

clips?
                  Also can you share the power amp mods you did?
                  Like me on facebook
                  Follow me on twitter

Comment

I'd be interested to hear some clips. I was going to mod my own, but the guts looked pretty cheap, and the trannies were very small too. I reasoned that I might do a bunch of work to it, and end up with a marginally better sounding amp, but still made from cheap parts.

I'm much happier with my Rhino. Paid even less for it than I did for the Windsor, and it sounds killer without any mods whatsoever. Not to mention, it's a 2 channel amp with separate EQs for both channels. The Rhino is also LUDICROUSLY LOUD. It's probably as loud as my old Randall RGT100, but is also switchable between 50 and 100 watts.
                    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." --Stephen Roberts

Comment

I changed the output Transformer to a MM, and added a MM choke. Upgraded the Electrolytics and tone caps, added Carbon comps to the tone section. Changed several of the pots, and did some mods to the output section to accomodate KT-88s. Modded the effects loops with a series or Parallel loop switch, and upgraded components. I also use 4% WGT Silver solder on every contact, some think it makes a difference, some dont.

Comment

I changed the output Transformer to a MM, and added a MM choke. Upgraded the Electrolytics and tone caps, added Carbon comps to the tone section. Changed several of the pots, and did some mods to the output section to accomodate KT-88s. Modded the effects loops with a series or Parallel loop switch, and upgraded components. I also use 4% WGT Silver solder on every contact, some think it makes a difference, some dont.

Specifics, schemes, anything?
                        Like me on facebook
                        Follow me on twitter

Comment

Specifics, schemes, anything?

I will find the output section, I had to get some mods from someone and some special crap to mod for KT-88. Can't find it. The rest is easy. i will e-mail you I promise.

Comment

Pick one up and get it modded. It's a GREAT amp after mods.
                            Fender Highway One Telecaster | Squier Telecaster | Squier Stratocaster | LTD EC-600
                            Vox AC30CC2

Positive Transactions

Comment

I will find the output section, I had to get some mods from someone and some special crap to mod for KT-88. Can't find it. The rest is easy. i will e-mail you I promise.

I'll take your word on it, sorry I got antsy.
                              Like me on facebook
                              Follow me on twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X