Yamaha THR vs Mustang?

IbanezJon

• Members

Specifically the THR10 vs Mustang III?

Seems like a pretty close match, with one having a bigger speaker, and one having smaller hi fi stereo monitor/speakers..

Both seem to have very good modelling and tone. Mustang with more tweakability?

Wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with both of them?

• Members

I own a Mustang I and a G-DEC 30 (basically the same sounds w/ backing tracks) and played a THR today. Soundwise, i found the THR much more inspiring. Keep in mind that I didn't use the software with it. The THR is also lighter and smaller. I'm strongly considering buying one now.

• Members

I played both the THR's saturday and they had 2 of the mustangs right next to em and the THR's took it by a MILE. They sound nothing alike and they are TOTALLY different in terms of what they offer you as an amp. Most people I'm assuming would buy one of these amps as a practice amp just to mess around with or a small travel amp or maybe something to jam with a backing track or something. THR just does everything it NEEDS to do and after I watched the video of the software editor, there is a TON of control you can actually wield over the amp. Tons of hidden parameters like compression, cab type and tons of controls over the individual effects vs just one generic knob and you can save a patch from the software once you tweak it into the amp as one of the 5 presets.

It literally took EVERY ounce of strength in my body and mind to NOT walk out of the store with it in my hands but the fact that I got one (THR 10) that night on ebay brand new for $235 shipped was good enough of a deal that I was willing to wait a few days. BTW, it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!

It sounds crazy but this is the first time in I cant remember when that I'm genuinely EXCITED over a piece of gear. It'll tide me over until I can swing big bucks for the Kemper :lol:

• Members

Can the THR10 be used as a cool ipod dock too? Full range speakers and yamaha hi-fi division made enclosure are what it said in the demo if I remember correctly. Fastredpony car if you demo it I'd like to hear your oppinion on that too. I am thinking about one for even work space ha ha.

• Members

By the way I kind of disagree with them being a close match in everything except the price. The fender is a full on 100 watts with a much more heavy duty speaker (celestion T100) in mono, I guess a great ultimate jamming/rehearsal/small gig amp which is lightweight and will hang with a drummer. Also it has more "sounds" (amp models). All of the above the yamaha won't do from design. 10 watts, short range sound, hi-fi small speakers.

But I trust yamaha 100% on quality of construction (just see a gut shot of the mustang II and google fender mustang fizz problem (power amp related)) vs fender. And it is stereo, with the spread that the mustang will never match for when you play along. If it does sound better as fastredponycar states then for the specific use it is intended it may be the best solution. Plus stereo in? Hook up any of the stereo modellers that are around or even the pc line out and...

• Members

Can the THR10 be used as a cool ipod dock too? Full range speakers and yamaha hi-fi division made enclosure are what it said in the demo if I remember correctly. Fastredpony car if you demo it I'd like to hear your oppinion on that too. I am thinking about one for even work space ha ha.

It doesn't have a "dock" per se but yeah that was one of the marketing points.....you can hook up mp3 players to the amp and jam along.

Archived